It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

error: JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token. Please try attaching the file again. on Google Chrome

Luan Luong Manh Sep 26, 2016

error: JIRA could not attach the file as there was a missing token. Please try attaching the file again. It happens on Google Chrome today.

17 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Sep 27, 2016

This happens when there's a network error, or timeout.  The easiest way to replicate it is to leave the computer for a while and then try the action - your tokens expire. Sometimes, it can happen when you're trying to upload too large a file as well.

Have you tried it again yet?  If you did, what happened?

Jim Ryan Feb 02, 2018

"leave the computer for awhile and then try"

OMG, so let's define "awhile".  A minute?  An Hour"? A day?.  Do I leave the computer and go sit in another room or do I have to leave the building?  Or can I just throw a blanket over it so it thinks I left.    Maybe I could leave it at Atlassian headquarter and they could fix it.

Priceless.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 03, 2018

No, that is clearly not what I said.

Please try reading the answer properly and thinking about it in the context of the question that was asked, instead of being silly.

Like # people like this
Jodie Haughton Feb 13, 2018

Hi Nic, I was wondering what you'd advise if a user has experienced the same issue in multiple browsers, using various different files and a number of different tickets? Cache has been cleared, the user has logged in and out of JIRA...nothing basic seems to work.

And she didn't leave her machine for a while either...literally fired up a new browser, logged into JIRA, tried to attach a file...and got the same error.

Frank Lienhard Jun 19, 2018

Hey Jim. YMMD

rahul Aug 06, 2018

Hi Nic , 

you are right that is a timeout err , just refresh the page and perform the operation .

it worked.

Like Karin Wegerer likes this
Nikolai Y. Aug 22, 2018

thanks!

Pubudu Herath Nov 26, 2018

Thanks Nic. That helps

Naveen Prakash I'm New Here Mar 21, 2019

After refreshing the page couple of times it works for me.

4 votes
Noel Peden Jul 19, 2017

I had two tabs open to JIRA. All I had to do was refresh the given tab and there was no more token error. 

1 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team May 10, 2017

Could it be that people have Confluence open in another tab and and it's overwriting the JIRA cookie?

Logging into another Atlassian application logs me out of Confluence

Woosung Kim Sep 19, 2017

I doubt the case, because I never run Confluence. None of them listed here work. Any resolution from Atlassian?

Harsh Vardhan Singh Oct 02, 2017

logout from jira and login again. That's Solution

Robert Saric Oct 02, 2017

No, that is not a solution, that is a workaround.

Frank Lienhard Jun 19, 2018

..only if it would work! In this case it's an "it also doesn't work around"

0 votes
Konrad Hernblad Dec 15, 2016

This happened to me today on Firefox (50.1.0).  Earlier today, I cleared my entire Firefox history/cache/cookies/etc.  My network is fine and the file is only 392k.

0 votes
Konrad Hernblad Dec 15, 2016

Just happened in Chrome as well...

0 votes
Robert Saric Jan 11, 2017

Happening in Chrome even though "Block third-party cookies..." is disabled.

0 votes
Raj Adluru Feb 02, 2017

this is happening when login to JIRA from Confluence space shortcut link.

this is not due large file or session time out, this could be bug.

Christopher Gronde Sep 06, 2017

How is this an acceptable answer? "This could be a bug"?

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Sep 16, 2017

Someone accepted a useless and wrong answer here, so people stopped paying attention.

Have a look at where Ann and I give useful answers.

0 votes
Liva Paudere Feb 15, 2017

For me too "Happening in Chrome even though "Block third-party cookies..." is disabled."

0 votes
Barton Stanley May 10, 2017

This is happening to me in Chrome.  Did anyone ever find an answer?

0 votes
Nidhi Doshi May 16, 2017

I'm encountering the same problem today on Chrome when I try to attach an image or excel file to a bug in jira. I am not running Confluence.

0 votes
Brent Webster Jun 01, 2017

Well, I might as well add my voice that I can't attach a file in Chrome while using Jira 7.2.8 (no Confluence, no one overwriting my cookies, just plain broken)

Brent Webster Jun 01, 2017

BTW, works fine in Firefox.

0 votes
Hunter Everett Jul 31, 2017

Refresh worked for me here as well.

0 votes
Harsh Vardhan Singh Oct 02, 2017

Logout from jira and login again.

0 votes
thi May 30, 2018

Refresh the tab works !

0 votes
anthony roundtree Jun 08, 2018

For me, I changed the file format. I was trying to update a png, but when I updated a jpg of the same file it worked fine. 

0 votes
Raúl Aldaz Jun 27, 2018

Suffering this constantly, very disgusting. Any open bug about it? I cannot think about restaring sessions all the time

Eric Mertens Sep 26, 2018

Refresh the browser page and retry attaching the attachement.

That works!

0 votes
Chris Annal Mar 12, 2019

Any new information on this? I just encountered it while testing JIRA 7.13. In my case, this was while trying to attach a file in the "Create Issue" screen. There's no way that I know of to "refresh" that dialog - so I completed the Create process and attached it later - but my users aren't going to like having a field for attaching documents for submission and seeing that error. It's just a wee bit off-putting.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

747 views 7 0
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you