Workflow post condition is not triggering a notification

Shalaka Wadekar September 22, 2020

I have created a webhook to send notifications to MS Teams from JIRA. I need this webhook to be triggered only when there is a transition from one status to another in the workflow.

To achieve this I have added a post condition to trigger the configured webhook, on my transition in the workflow.

I can see the workflow transition added to my webhook as well. But when any ticket on my project undergoes this transition, the webhook isn't getting triggered and hence I dont get any notification on MS Teams.

I know my webhook works fine otherwise because I can receive other notifications if I set triggers like 'Issue Updated' or 'Issue Created'

1 answer

0 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

Hi @Shalaka Wadekar, some things to check:

• Have you definitely published the workflow you've added the post function to?
  • Has the post function been added to the correct workflow?
  • Is the workflow mapped to the correct project and issue type you're transitioning?
Shalaka Wadekar September 22, 2020

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_  Below are my answers:

• Have you definitely published the workflow you've added the post function to?

Yes, I have definitely published the workflow by clicking on the 'publish draft' button. When I go back to edit the workflow, I can see my post condition added to the given transition.

• Has the post function been added to the correct workflow?

Yes, the post function is definitely added to the correct workflow because this is the work flow linked to my project.

• Is the workflow mapped to the correct project and issue type you're transitioning?

Yes, as mentioned above the workflow is mapped to the correct project. We have been using this workflow for a very long time now and it reflects properly when we change ticket statuses, so this is the correct workflow mapped to our project

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

@Shalaka Wadekar In that case I'm not too sure why this isn't working with the post function...

If you can't find a resolution to your problem, you could always set up an automation rule instead of a post function to achieve this. There is an out of the box "Send Microsoft Teams" message" action, where you can enter your webhook, and can customise the message title and body

rule1.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2020

@Shalaka Wadekar For some reason my second paragraph above combined itself with the image posted so got removed from the post, so apologies for that random out of context image!

I have amended the post to explain what the image is about :)

Shalaka Wadekar September 24, 2020

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ sorry for a delayed response. Thanks for the above suggestion and I did try that as well, however with the current webhook that I created from MS teams for JIRA cloud, it isn't working, as in, the trigger isn't sending any notifications to Teams. 

I suspect that this is due to the webhook provided, being limited in terms of what events it would listen to. And it does not listen to transition events. I saw a comment on another page that suggested that we use another webhook of type 'Incoming Webhook' on Teams. I currently do not have access to that in my organisation, so I have requested for the access and am waiting for it. I will try will the new webhook once I create it. I hope that should work for me. Although I am afraid it would restrict the formatting of the message that I need to send to MS Teams. 

Will update here once I do this.

Poat December 11, 2020

no the webhook is definitely sending.

The issue is that JIRA is sending a different JSON response when doing it from a transition , vs those checkboxes.

I hooked up the webhook to a https://webhook.site/ and when I pushed the response along to to MS teams - I got "Webhook Bad Request - null or empty eventType" - which it doesn't have

Only the ones triggered from "created, updated" have this metadata

Suggest an answer