Within Jira, a specific AD user will not reactivate

I have a particular user that had previously left the company and was disabled within Active Directory. That person has now returned to the company and I have enabled them within Active Directory. JIRA does not show the person as active, still shows inactive. I have forced a LDAP directory synchronization. I have updated a different user's AD group membership and viewed within JIRA to confirm successful directory synchronization.  I have re-enabled a different person and successfully viewed within JIRA that person going from inactive to active.  Where do I go from here?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

The solution that finally worked for me.

1. Have the reinstated user log out of their computer.
  2. Administer their account in Active Directory.
    1. Mark their account back to "Disabled"
    2. Move their account object to a different OU
  3. Within JIRA, synchronize the LDAP directory.
  4. Within Active Directory
    1. Mark their account back to "Enabled"
    2. Move their account object to desired OU
  5. Within JIRA
    1. Synchronize the LDAP directory.
    2. Verify user account is NOT "Deactivated"

So the question here is why does it need to be disabled, moved to a different OU, sync then repeat the process (inverted) before it can finally catch up. It can mean that it only syncs one time but it does not explain the need to move them to a new OU. We can send a question to Atlassian (support.atlassian.com) and/or update their documentation about this.

To force a sync in Jira, go to Admin --> User Management. On left column of options, select "User Directories". Locate the listing for your Active Directory within the list of "User Directories" and on the right side you should see the word "Synchronise". Select it to synchronize.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

441 views 2 5
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you