Why are closed tickets carried over from sprint to sprint ?

Francois Gerthoffert November 21, 2016

Hi,

We noticed that our closed tickets are being carried over from sprint to sprint and haven't been able to clearly understand why and how to prevent this from happening.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.17.15 AM.png

Sprints are created & completed from a JIRA Scrum board where the Closed status is "unmapped". A ticket is considered complete as per the sprint when it gets to the "Merged" status. It is later transitioned to "Closed" following deployement to production (but this is considered outside of the sprint).

Do you know how we could prevent closed tickets from moving from sprint to sprint ?

Thanks,

Jira: v6.3.8#6338-sha1:68f19fa

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2016

Are the issues in the far right hand column of the board when the sprint is ended?

Francois Gerthoffert November 21, 2016

In this particular case I suspect it was not (it went through the far right hand column, then kept moving).

If this is what is causing the issue, is there a way to either:

- Prevent the issue from moving to an unmapped status while a sprint is running

- Remove the issue from the current running sprint as it is being transitioned to an unmapped status (which in our case is "Closed").

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2016

You could place a condition on the transitions to stop it, or you could have a post-function that clears out the sprint.  Both would require code.  The second may clobber your board reports though.

Francois Gerthoffert November 23, 2016

Thanks Nic,

I understand we are deviating from the initial question, but what would be the Scriptrunner validator that would correspond to this type of JQL: Sprint not in openSprints()

I could then apply it to any transition moving outside of status mapped to the agile board for this sprint. 

Thanks a lot,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2016

I asked the SR team, and there isn't one.  However, as you have SR, you can still code that into a validator script.  You could do it by invoking JQL, but it would be far better to extract the sprint from the issue and check its status.

0 votes
Chris Green September 11, 2019

I have the same issue @Francois Gerthoffert 

Each time we close a sprint (~monthly) there are additional issues that are rolled over to the new sprint

Within each sprint, we do a number of releases and 'releasing' the tickets in JIRA sets the status of the tickets in that release (aka fix version) to 'Closed'

Only 1 sprint is active at any time, and the 'Active sprints' Board, currently containing 90 tickets of type Bug, Task, Epic, Spike, Improvement, New Feature (no sub-tasks), in status'
Reopened, In Progress, Under Review, Ready for QA (No 'Done' or 'Closed' tickets)

The 'Backlog' view contains 1 active sprint and 2 inactive (future) sprints and a Backlog

On the 'Column Management' page (RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=12&config=columns) there are 2779 issues showing as 'Done'

When trying to close the sprint it shows "0 issues were done" (consistent with the above) but then shows "511 issues were incomplete"

When I search issues by Sprint 520 issues appear, 429 of which imported in to the sprint from the last sprint as "Closed" (with varying resolutions, Duplicate, Won't Do, Done, Not Applicable, etc) from as far back as June 2016 that have been rolled through 17 different sprints

This affects the burndown chart, as the story points are not shown as released at the end of any sprints

I tried doing a bulk action to Close all tickets, but they still rolled over to the next sprint

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events