Why are closed tickets carried over from sprint to sprint ?

Hi,

We noticed that our closed tickets are being carried over from sprint to sprint and haven't been able to clearly understand why and how to prevent this from happening.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.17.15 AM.png

Sprints are created & completed from a JIRA Scrum board where the Closed status is "unmapped". A ticket is considered complete as per the sprint when it gets to the "Merged" status. It is later transitioned to "Closed" following deployement to production (but this is considered outside of the sprint).

Do you know how we could prevent closed tickets from moving from sprint to sprint ?

Thanks,

Jira: v6.3.8#6338-sha1:68f19fa

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

Are the issues in the far right hand column of the board when the sprint is ended?

In this particular case I suspect it was not (it went through the far right hand column, then kept moving).

If this is what is causing the issue, is there a way to either:

- Prevent the issue from moving to an unmapped status while a sprint is running

- Remove the issue from the current running sprint as it is being transitioned to an unmapped status (which in our case is "Closed").

You could place a condition on the transitions to stop it, or you could have a post-function that clears out the sprint.  Both would require code.  The second may clobber your board reports though.

Thanks Nic,

I understand we are deviating from the initial question, but what would be the Scriptrunner validator that would correspond to this type of JQL: Sprint not in openSprints()

I could then apply it to any transition moving outside of status mapped to the agile board for this sprint. 

Thanks a lot,

I asked the SR team, and there isn't one.  However, as you have SR, you can still code that into a validator script.  You could do it by invoking JQL, but it would be far better to extract the sprint from the issue and check its status.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

453 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you