Which database is best option for Jira?

Ganesh Gembali May 31, 2016

Which of the following database is recommended for JIRA and if you can provide few points why it will be helpful.

1. MySql
  2. MSSQL
  3. Oracle

6 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

The best answer I can give to this is:

1. Use one of the four Atlassian support
  2. Use the one that your organisation is most comfortable with.  If you have a set of DBAs who support your databases, ask them which one they'd like you to use.  The one they support the best

If I have complete free-range on which one to choose for JIRA, I would put the supported four in this order:

1.  PostGreSQL - it's at the top of the list because it's the one Atlassian work with the most
  2. MySQL - A close second, although slipping recently, as since JIRA 6, it seems to be getting more and more complex to configure correctly.  The project I'm on currently (upgrading and merging 5 JIRA systems from MS-SQL and Oracle) has run into all sorts of issues, but a good chunk of them went away last week when we moved to PostGreSQL
  3. Oracle
  4. MS-SQL way down the list.  I've had strings of problems with MS-SQL that go away when you move to one of the other three.  The fact that Microsoft can't even be bothered to write a usable driver for their own database tells me how much they care.  I'm told it's got better in more recent versions.  I still avoid it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

p.s. the list is slightly different for Confluence - MS-SQL arguably works better than Oracle, and almost as well as MySQL for Confluence.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2016

Ok, given your comment above, MySQL is probably the best for you, so the specifics on that are:

Be careful to get the collation and locale right before you do anything with JIRA  (follow the recommendations in the setup document to the letter.  But take the advice of your DBAs on anything that is not covered in that doc)

Watch out for users trying to be "clever" with emojis and graphics - importing emojis and other stuff into MySQL does not work.  You'll be fine with most data though.

Ganesh Gembali June 2, 2016

Hi Nic,

Couldn't thank you yesterday because "limit on no of comments" as I just registered. Thanks for explanation and suggestions. In our infrastructure we have mysql clusters but with strict mode off. But I see Atlassian recommending to use with strict mode. What kind of issues I might face with out strict mode using mysql.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2016

If you run into a bug that affects a write cycle, with strict mode off, it's more likely to allow broken data to go into the database.  This is a very rare occurrence though, and does require that a bug is hit at a low level.  I think the strict mode checking is a strong recommendation rather than an absolute requirement

Thanny Lopez September 12, 2018

Hi, I will read the types of strict modes but I don't know how choose: STRICT_ALL_TABLES or STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,. I'll use MySQL enterprise 5.7.23.

Thanks for your comments.

2 votes
Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2016

Hi Ganesh,

Which database is best option for Jira?

Without a doubt, although this is not an option in your list, the recommended database would be PostgreSQL. This is the database that we at Atlassian also use for JIRA Cloud instances. This recommendation is only included in the latest supported platforms page with a complete explanation as to why we recommend this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/adminjiraserver071/Supported+Platforms#Supportedplatforms-postgresnote

Ganesh Gembali June 3, 2016

I wish I can use postgres. But its not supported in our infra. So I have listed 3 dbs supported . So we are going with msyql as community suggesting it is next best. Thanks for taking time to provide your inputs.

1 vote
Teja May 31, 2016

Hi,

There is no such best option. But whichever the DBA team supports, we can use that
 Normally people will use MySQL which is a open source.
Ganesh Gembali May 31, 2016

@Teju Naik Thanks for reply. Our DBA supports all above 3.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2016

MySQL then.

0 votes
Pablo Rizzi June 2, 2016

hello, is depend if you have db or not.

for example, i use in 3 different companies the 3 db.

mysql is cheap, but have some limitations. is open Source Database.  take care with the support if you have any issue.

MSSQL is expensive but not expensive than Oracle and you pay attention with the cost of the DBA.  Its not so simple to find good and cheap Oracle DBA and MSSQL DBA.

The best are MSSQL and ORACLE, both are the same level for our usability. and both have a good performance and scalebility, redundance, etc.

The more important is the people support you have to admin the db.  and pay attention with the cost of the licence (MSSql and Oracle).

if you are a begginer i recommend to start with MSSQL then if you grow, you can migrate.

Ganesh Gembali June 2, 2016

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the suggestion. From DB cost and DBA perspective, all 3 are equal for us. And all 3 are existing in our infra already.

Pablo Rizzi June 2, 2016

hi Ganesh, ok. then i recommend MSSQL in first place and second place Oracle, just becouse of there are more technnical people of MS than ORacle.  But both are very good database if you hace DBA.

Keep in touch.

Please, feel free in ask more questions....

Pablo Rizzi June 3, 2016

in my case, the configuration in MSSQL was easy and suppose to you will be the same.  may in Oracle is a little more difficult it, just a little bit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2016

I'd strongly recommend MySQL first (as PostGres isn't a good choice due to your DBA's willingbess to support it)

MS-SQL is a poor performer when it comes to Atlassian applications - usually in fourth place (crept into third for Confluence)

0 votes
Mohand TALBI June 1, 2016

Hi,

We use PostgreSQL, good performance.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

Hi @Ganesh Gembali,

The MySQL driver is no longer bundled with JIra.

Jira does not support 4 byte characters, regardless of MySQL version.

If you must use 4 byte characters we recommend you use PostgreSQL.

please look on this page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events