What is the thinking behind the 3 sprint delay in showing predicted sprints for the release burndown chart?

Support Team [Clearvision]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2015

What is the thinking behind the 3 sprint delay in showing predicted sprints for the release burndown chart?

Predicted sprints are calculated based on your team's velocity* (amount of work completed in the last three sprints), but why do we have to wait to show the predicted sprints if these are then based on the total velocity of the team and not the velocity of the selected version/release?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Deepthi Aynumpudi February 14, 2018

Hi,

Even I am looking for a solution to this. We have very frequent releases and not able to predict anything.

0 votes
Patrick Dyle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 24, 2016

I would also like to know the same. Seems that JIRA could use the team's existing velocity (based on the last 3, 6, 9, etc, sprints) to provide release date projections as soon as work begins on a release. This seems especially helpful for companies who are releasing regularly. If a group has 2 week sprints, then even a "medium-sized" feature (4-6 sprint) project/release would have no visibility until you are nearly done. sad

Suggest an answer