What happened to the ability to split an issue?

For a mere moment there was a command, "Split," that allowed me to not clone, but split an issue. Now, however, it seems to be gone. I feel like I'm losing my mind, but I did actually find proof:

image2016-12-28 7:55:50.png

Does anyone know what the "split" command is (I swear it was "split") and what might have happened to it? Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Dec 28, 2016

The 'split' option is available from a board's backlog, by clicking on an issue with the mouse's right button:

split.jpg

Yup, there it is, and now I feel like an idiot. I was searching for it in the "." menu, trying to type in "Split." Thanks, Ignacio!

Maybe I'm an idiot too, but I don't see the "Split issue" menu option anymore (((

Look at my screenshoot...

Captura de pantalla 2017-04-06 a las 17.46.20.png

I have the impression that - although not immediately visible on your screenshot - you have multiple issues selected. I think so because the bulk change option is showing.

I tried to reproduce this behaviour on a cloud instance and am seeing exactly this. As soon as I select only 1 issue, the split issue option appears in the menu.

Apart from that, a question to you too - how did you manage to get your issue key at the left of your issue cards? 

I didn't do anything to put the issue key on the left side. It was always there.

I'm selecting only one issue. If I select more than one, the "Delete" option disapears from the pop up menu, but the other options remain the same.

I'm using Jira Server 7.3.4 not Jira Cloud. I don't know if this makes any difference.

Hi Arturo,

Yes, this makes a difference. Splitting an issue is not available on JIRA Server yet, only on JIRA Cloud.

I see. Then, I will continue using the Split Issue Plugin.

0 votes

You're not going crazy smile

This is brand new functionality to actually split an issue in 2.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 14.03.15.png

It is intended to split up a larger story into smaller chunks, which you could add to different sprints. The nice thing about it, is that it copies all relevant information from your original story and then also handles all the logic of setting the correct status etc.

You find this functionality in backlog view by right clicking an issue. On cloud only for the moment or coming soon.

I'm not seeing this in the board we are running version 7.5.1 on the server can someone help?

0 votes

I had this same issue, until I realized that you can actually scroll up and down within the right-click popover menu. There it is, down at the bottom under 'Other actions'...maybe this will help.

Untitled-1.jpg

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

301 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot