Version Report vs Release Burndown

Aaron Smith June 9, 2017

Hi All, 

For the same version, my Version Report has a predicted release date of 6/22/17, whereas, the release burndown indicates three more sprints are needed which would put us at around an 8/1/17 release date. Why is there such a discrepency? I thought the Version report also calculates based off the team's velocity and the remaining estimated items. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

MIL Version report.PNGMIL release burndown.PNG

4 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Nicholson September 27, 2018

I believe it is because the reports assume different work rates.

Version Report: work rate = work completed / days since beginning

Burndown Report: work rate = work complete / last three sprints

Using your reports as an example, you can see that in the beginning you were completing a lot of work very quickly. If you had stayed on that pace the line in the Version Report would have a much steeper slope, and the Burndown Report would have larger green bars towards the beginning.

However, as time goes on work is completed at a slower rate. The Burndown Report is more sensitive to rate changes because it's only looking at the last three sprints, whereas the Version Report continues to be skewed by the large chunks of work completed early on.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Javed Khan September 27, 2018

Version Report calculates completion date based on average speed of effort log /issue closed over the period since start of version, where as release report is based on last 3 sprint average sprint closure time , divide the pending work to provide number of sprint needed, it does not provide you delivery date., only number of sprint. 

0 votes
Bastian Wassermann March 7, 2018

Any news?

Aaron Smith March 8, 2018

No news yet and it's still an issue. 

0 votes
Derek Barnes November 6, 2017

Hi Aaron,

Did you ever get an answer on this or figure it out? I thought these reports should line up for predicted done dates of the version.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer