Validation when issue is added to sprint

Emma Dallow January 18, 2019

Hello,

I've created a new workflow and added validations before an issue transitions to the next status.  But I can't seem to figure out how to add those same validations to a ticket when it's selected from the backlog and moved into an active sprint.  Any ideas?  Thanks all, always appreciate the help as I'm a new administrator !!

4 answers

0 votes
Thomas Johnson June 25, 2022

@Emma Dallow 

Hi,

A new addon "Scrum Assistant" for the DC version has just been released. The plugin can va;idate the rules for filling in estimates in Story Points, both at the start of the sprint and when adding new tasks to the sprint.
Only one field is currently being checked, but there may be other fields in the future.

Perhaps this will solve your problem

0 votes
Emma Dallow January 21, 2019

Hello Petterson,

Ah yes, that's a good way of thinking about it being an edit vs a transition!!  I wanted to have three fields validated before an issue can be moved into an active sprint - 

Definition of Ready (tick box custom field)

Stakeholders (custom field, predictive search to find and select other Jira users)

Story Points (custom field for numeric value

Let me know if you need any more information.  Thanks so much!

Emma

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2019

Thanks for your answer, Emma.

Digging a little bit deeper on this, I've found out that you can do it using a groovy script from ScriptRunner, however, there are some ways to edit issues that would break the trigger to the validators. E.g: Bulk edit issues or try to edit it directly from a project Board.

That been said, the most practical and efficient way to achieve your need would be performing the steps below:

- Configure a new transition in your workflow that your issues should be taken to when moved to a sprint - Preferably, use a loop transition to the same status

- Configure all your validators on this transition

- Install Automation Lite for JIRA plugin

- Configure the following automation rule to transition your issue when the Sprint is edited:

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 11.28.06.png

- Optional Step - You can hide the new transition from other users, allowing only the automation to perform the transition when the sprint is changed. Let e know if you need help with this 

Let me know if you need any further help to do it.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2019

Hello Emma,

Can you please provide us what kind of validators you are trying to configure?

As you may know, Validators can only be configured on workflow transitions, however, you are not performing a transition when moving an issue to a Sprint, but only editing the Sprint field.

That been said, you will need a plugin to automatically change the status of the issue when the Sprint field is changed to trigger the validators as you need.

I think Automation for JIRA plugin would work to achieve this scenario, however, we can maybe suggest better options once you provide us what kind of validators you are planning to use.

We will be waiting for it! :)

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 18, 2019

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events