Upgrade JIRA Jira 6.1.7 postgres 9.3 to jira 8.1 postgres 9.3

Fabrizio_Oldrati April 9, 2019

Hi,

I have buy new license for version 8.1: JIRA software & core, Bitbucket and confluence.

New license it's under new account: fabrizio.oldrati@gmail.com (my old company QUBO srl is dead).

I need to migrate jira from version 6.1.7 to 8.1. First of all I need to upgrade from version 6.1.7 -> 6.4 -> 7.1 ->8.1

I have encountered trouble to find documentation for first step.

Can you help me ?

Best regards

Fabrizio OLDRATI

+39 3496170043

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

Hi Fabrizo,

To upgrade from an existing jira 6.1.7 to 8.1 you will want to use the latest jira 7.0.X version as the intermediary hop to save yourself some time in the upgrade.

For a referance point and some additional context we put together the following upgrade guide back when 7.2 was the latest version and it goes into more detail about what steps to follow and why you need to hit the 7.0 version before upgrading further and it comes down to upgrade tasks that were removed in 7.1:

So while you are starting on a Jira 6.1.7 version your optimal upgrade path with the minimum steps, would be to:

1. Set up a fully installed and running Jira 7.0.11 server with a temporary login that will be overwritten on the import at a later step
  2. Run an add-on compatibility check on the source instance
    1. Any incompatible add-ons will need to be removed or reach out to the add-on vendor for special upgrade instructions
  3. Install all the compatible upgraded versions of the add-ons on the 7.0.11 staging server
  4. Create a XML backup of the 6.1.7 instance and migrate the data to the stages 7.0.11
    1. This step will apply all the necessary upgrade tasks for the intermediary hop requirement
  5. Upgrade the 7.0.11 to the desired jira 8.X version

Following this upgrade path you should be all good, and let me know how it all goes.

Regards,
Earl

Fabrizio_Oldrati March 4, 2020

Hi Earl,

I'm so sorry for delay my replay...

I have use your istruction and I have fix my issue.

Best regards

Fabrizio

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer