Updated Issue Types not updating display

I've got a Server install of JIRA 7.3.2.  I've been building out some custom issue types before we begin using it in production.  I created several issue types, added them to the scheme for the project, and everything looks fine.  I also renamed the "Bug" issue type to different text because bugs are "bad".  

 

When I go into the create screen, I see all of the issue types that are in the scheme for this project.  However, "Bug" is still "Bug" not my "Change Needed" text.  Also, the icons for the new issue types remain as the default.  Once I've created an issue, Issue type and icon display as expected.  I've done normal browser troubleshooting as I'd expect (cleared cache, cycled the browser, etc) but I'm still stuck.

 

Any ideas/suggestions?

7 answers

1 accepted

I just found (based on above answers that, even easier --- in any/all applicable "Issue type schemes" simply *move* the affected issue type up or down in the list (drag and drop), and *save* - and the text will now be correct. You can now move it back to original position if wanted. Not something you should have to do but it works. 

Why not create a new issue type name "Change Needed" and exclude Bug for Issue type scheme of all project ?

Because we won't be using "Bug" and I'd rather limit extraneous issue types.  It's an option, but that would just give me yet another issue type that's displaying the default icon in the Create Issue dropdown for issue type, which is the other issue I've run into.

Have you tried a reindex?

 

I just did a lock and re-index (joy of it not being live yet, there really aren't many issues and it completes lightening fast)... and no luck.

I ran into the exact same issue  (also on JIRA server version 7.3.2) when updating the name and changing the icons of a few custom issue types.

I tried resaving the updates to the issue types, updating the issue type scheme, and doing a full re-index. Nothing worked.  I even created a new issue type scheme using the updated issue types (thinking maybe the old issue type scheme was hung up is cache) and while it would show the changed issue type name and icons in the issue type drop down menu, as soon as you selected one it would revert back tot he previous version. 

Finally I figured out that if you restart your JIRA instance the updates will be displayed as expected.  However, restarting JIRA every time you make a change to an issue type is not a great solution for a production environment.

Here is a very old bug that describes this behaviour - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-23148

But we've only hit it for the first time ever today. Must be something else going on to cause it.

0 vote

I've experienced the same issue and what solved it for me (we currently use Jira 7.2.4) was to create a copy of the assigned Issue Type Scheme and assigned the newly created copy to the project.

Editing the default issue type scheme (which we don't use) and setting the default issue type to the issue type that was changed, save it and then resetting to back to none finally cleared the cache.  

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

41 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot