Update custom field, "Project", value during workflow transition...

Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to update custom field values during workflow transition.

In our current instance of JIRA we are managing our software spaces as one set of projects and large business initiatives as another. Epics in the business projects contain Stories across the software spaces. This allows us to focus on software release at a development level while providing transparency to business stakeholders who are more interested in progress toward the feature. Because JQL does not support querying based on the project key of an epic link (e.g. return all stories that have epics in project = SCOM) I am trying to build a post function for issues opened in an epic to update a custom field based on the project key for that epic.

Example:

Epic SCOM-1 is opened, during grooming we open a series of tickets EPWEB-47, EPNET-67, MMC-780

Workflow transitions occur

on each of EPWEB-47, EPNET-67, MMC-780, field 'project key' is updated to 'SCOM'

In theory I can develop a post function using the parameter "has epic", however I cannot find a way to dynamically capture the project key to fill that field. What I am left with is manually entering the 'project key' value on the epic and copying it on create.

Thoughts?

PS it should be stated that appetite to purchase an add-on is nonexistent

2 answers

0 votes
Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2016

For those looking for the same answer I used an idea from another forum member who had used the post function for another purpose. To solve a reporting and tracking issue I instituted a custom field called "Project Key" - this field is a pick list of the JIRA Projects. Using this field type allows my custom field to grow and change as the JIRA projects being used do.

• Each epic is labeled with the 'Project Key' (manually at the moment, haven't been able to add this process to the create post function)
  • Every issuetype opened under the Epic will inherit from parent the 'Project Key' upon 'Create'
  • If perchance the Epic does not have this field completed I added post functions along the lifecycle of the issues beneath the Epic in an attempt to capture the information downstream.

The recent removal of post function management did put a crinkle in this workaround - we will need to purchase this add-on but the pitch to buy this add-on was much easier given the post function allows for many other efficiencies.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2016

Crystelle,

Is this Project custom field contains the Key of the project you are working on? If yes then why create a field for it. In JIRA if you open any Epic you can view all the linked issues under it. In the Issue navigator you can write a JQL like:

project = "Sample Scrum Project B" and "Epic Link" = SSPB-24

This will return all the Stories (or any issues) that are linked under an Epic with key SSPB-24.

Ravi

Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Hi Ravi,

We are trying to report on over 100 epics. The above does not help as it only shows me one feature of one project when we have on average 10-15 open at any given time. We also don't want to manually list all the possible epic links per the above.

Hope that clarifies smile

Suggest an answer