Unable to search unrecognizable DateTime format in Jira Lucene index

I am trying to perform a date range search directly on the Lucene index generated by Atlassian Jira. Following this guide, I hva ended up building my query in the following manner:

Capture.PNG

Which gives the Lucene query:

customfield_10106:[2010-01-10-00-00-00 TO 2020-12-10-00-00-00]

However, this search yields no results, due the format DateTime values stored in the Lucene index. 

How should I write my query to search these encoded dates?

Examples of indexed data:

The DateTime values are stored as shown in the following picture from Luke:

enter image description here

A closeup of the DateTime values stored:

Here is what the first result looks like from the IntelliJ debugger:

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Peter Runge Atlassian Team Oct 04, 2017

JIRA stores dates in Lucene as the number of seconds since the Epoch (1 January 1970) in Lucene long prefix-coded format.

When viewing these values in Luke, use the 'Long (prefix-coded)' option under 'Show content as:' to show this value:

lukedate.png

Programatically, using the JIRA API, you can use LuceneUtils.dateToString() or stringToDate() to go the other way.  Or using the Lucene API, you can interpret the string value as a number of seconds by using NumericUtils.prefixCodedToLong() or longToPrefixCoded().

Try making a TermRangeQuery with lowerTerm and upperTerm filled in using LuceneUtils.dateToString(). 

Thank you for the thorough explanation! Using the LuceneUtils.dateToString(someDate) worked like a charm. Thanks! :-) 

For future reference, here how I ended up making the range query. Thanks to Peter!

private Query getSampleRangeQuery() {
Date lower = new GregorianCalendar(2017, Calendar.AUGUST, 1).getTime();
Date upper = new GregorianCalendar(2017, Calendar.SEPTEMBER, 31).getTime();
return new TermRangeQuery("customfield_10106", LuceneUtils.dateToString(lower), LuceneUtils.dateToString(upper), true, true);
}

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

42 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you