Unable to scroll on any JIRA Page using Microsoft Edge

Usman Khalid April 6, 2018

A user is having issues with JIRA on MS Edge. The Scroll bars do not show up and she is unable to scroll through her dashboards, scroll through tickets to the history and comments, etc.   Has anyone else experienced this? Okay on chrome and Firefox. MS edge seems to be the only issue. 

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2018

Hi, Usman.

We would like to know the following:

1. Does this issue happening for all or specific user?
  2. Are you able to replicate in your MS edge?
  3. Can you ask the user to use MS edge in private mode and see if she seeing the same behavior? You may refer to the following on how to use MS edge in private mode

Cheers

Usman Khalid April 9, 2018

Hey Suren! 

Thanks for the reply! So there is just one user having this issue (we have a small office).  

I have a MacBook Air, so downloading MS edge is a bit of a hassle (I'd have to get a PC simulator). I talked to some other folks in the office, most use Google Chrome or Firefox, or Safari to use JIRA. I asked them to try accessing JIRA in MS edge and they were not seeing the same issue. 

I asked the user to clear her cache and try to access it (in case that was an issue) and it didn't solve the problem. 

Once she gets to the office I'll ask her to check private mode, but I'm assuming cache is where you were going with that. 

I'll also check out the link as well! Any other help would be amazing! 

Thanks,

Usman Khalid 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2018

Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?   I ask because there were certain versions of Jira Server that did not officially support the MS Edge browser, (I think this would be versions of Jira before 7.1.4 if memory serves, oh I was right).

I would expect Cloud to support this version of this browser in current version per Support Browsers

However if you are using Jira Server, please let us know what specific version of Jira this is as well.

Thanks

Andy

Usman Khalid April 10, 2018

Hey @Andy Heinzer

We are using Jira Server - version 7.2.0, so it should support MS Edge right? 

thanks for looking into this! :) 

Usman Khalid 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 10, 2018

Yes, Jira Server formally added support for the Edge browser in 7.1.4, so yes, I do believe this should work with 7.2.0.  The Supported platforms documentation for that version of Jira, does list that this browser is supported.  I would like to point out the notes on this browser of:

• Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 (when browsers are maximized).
  • 'Compatibility View' is not supported.

That compatibility view might be worth checking into.  It could be if the user has this turned on that the site might be rendering correctly.  If this isn't the case, then I would next try some standard troubleshooting for a browser such as clearing cookies/cache, and/or trying to a browser session in a private or incognito mode like firefox or chrome would let you to see if the problem persists.

I was not able to find any documented bugs in regards to scrolling in Edge on our bug tracker.   So my thoughts right now are that this is environmental to that user session or this Jira instance.  But of course if we can document a set of steps to follow to reproduce this problem, I would be happy to create a bug ticket if this is a defect in Jira.

Usman Khalid April 12, 2018

Hey Andrew! 

Thanks for the reply. So private mode gave us no luck. I've been looking on google for how to turn off compatibility mode in MS Edge and I can't really find any answers. Would you happen to know how to tell if it's turned on in Edge? 

Thanks!

Usman Khalid 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2018

Hi Usman,

Thanks for pointing this out.  It turns out the Edge browser does not have a compatibility view.   I believe this note in our documentation is a hold-over from days when the only Microsoft browser Jira supported was IE.   From the searching I did on this, I think that compatibility view only applies to Internet Explorer, not Edge. See http://www.thewindowsclub.com/compatibility-view-microsoft-edge-browser for more details.

Since that is probably not the problem here, and you have other Edge users unaffected by this problem, I would be interested to see if perhaps this particular user has changed his/her zoom level.   Most browsers offer you a means to zoom in on page content.  While this can help text appear larger on the screen, I have seen instances where this can cause pages to look weird in one way or another.

Usman Khalid April 13, 2018

Hey Andrew! 

No worries! The zoom is actually one of the first things I checked, and everything seems to be in normal zoom. We tried zooming in and out as well and nothing really changed (except the font getting bigger and bigger). 

Thanks!

Usman Khalid 

Usman Khalid April 13, 2018

The only other thing I can think to do is uninstall and reinstall MS Edge, but I don't even know if that is possible on a Microsoft PC. 

Any other suggestions? 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 16, 2018

Perhaps take a look at the browser console when the Jira page is loaded.   Details in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/devtools-guide/console

If there are errors in the browser in regards to rendering the page, or downloading content from the site, this console log should be able to log these warnings/errors.

Additionally, is it possible grab a screenshot of what this looks like?   Just curious if we can better understand the scope of the problem here.

Usman Khalid April 17, 2018

Hey @Andy Heinzer

Yeah! I can totally get a screen shot of it. I don't know why I didn't think of looking at the console. The user is usually remote so I'll try and screen share and get that information. I will follow up after! 

Thanks!

Usman Khalid 

Usman Khalid April 18, 2018

@Andy Heinzer can't seem to attach a screenshot to this message, might be a formatting thing, cool if email it to you? 

We checked the console error tab and there was no error, unfortunately. I was hoping that there would be. 

Let me know if you need any other info! 

Thanks, 

Usman 

James Bromwell April 23, 2018

I just ran in to this myself for the first time -- I was never an Edge user, but I recently started doing test on my own application in Edge and found it easier to keep my Jira open in the same browser.  (It also has good PKCS#11 support out of the box, and we use smart card auth for our Jira.)

The thing is, I also ran into some scrolling issues on my own application, and discovered that it's due to this extremely active, 2-year-old known issue on Edge: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/7134034/

The short version is, every other browser emits scrollwheel events when you scroll, but Edge decided not to in order to guarantee a smooth touchpad scrolling experience when you have a Precision Touchpad (a new class of touchpad standard supported in Windows 10 and up).  In certain scenarios, this breaks custom scrolling event handlers and can result in the behavior I'm seeing -- attempting to scroll just results in the page moving slightly as though there is "resistance", like pushing against a rubber bumper.

Maybe this can help?

Usman Khalid April 24, 2018

hey James! thanks for the information! 

looking through the comments and the issue, I don't see a resolution or workaround. Have you been able to find a resolution? 

Thanks!

Usman

James Bromwell April 24, 2018

I think opening the Inspector (F12 tools) and disabling the CSS rule attached to {{<body>}} for {{overflow-y: hidden}} let me scroll, but it's hardly a long-term fix.  It would be nice if Jira refactored their frontend to stop using {{display:table}} and a bunch of custom scrolling behavior, but I don't expect to see that any time soon.  Maybe the compromise will be different handling of Pointer events but I'm not holding my breath.

Suggest an answer