It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to connect to SQL Server database in JIRA Installation. Need to open any firewall port??

Sravya Vuggina Apr 11, 2018

I have ensured that TCP/IP is enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager. However, I get the below error message. Am I missing something here?? 

jira_error.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Ung Atlassian Team Apr 11, 2018 • edited

Hi Sravya,

If your database is on a different server to your Jira, you will need to make sure that the database server has port 1433 open for the Jira server to communicate.

You can telnet to see if the port is open for your Jira server -

On Jira server (if Jira is on Windows server you may need to install telnet)

telnet database.server.ip 1433 

or on same server as Jira

telnet 127.0.0.1 1433

If this comes back that its refused, then definitely needs to be opened on the database server side firewall.

If database is on the same server as Jira and telnet connection is refused, it may be that your sql server database isn't actually running on 1433 port. Then you will need to check what port its running on.

Hope this helps 

Sravya Vuggina Apr 12, 2018

Hi David,

Thanks much for the response! 

You were right, Sql Server database wasn't running on 1433 port. During the installation I have mentioned the port of database server and it worked. 

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

664 views 7 0
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you