Two parallel subflows in a workflow

lucullus@applikon-biotechnology.com September 4, 2017

See the included image (scroll to see all of it). Subflow 2 can take some time, which is why subflow 1 exists to allow some other work to get done. When both subflows are completed, the workflow can proceed from status A onwards.

two subflows.pngHence the question: can this be done in JIRA CORE with native tooling (add-ons)? If not, what external tooling would be needed?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

Yes.  Just drop the idea of "sub flows" as it's irrelevant.  Whatever your processes are, just put them into a single workflow that takes two separate routes until joining up on status A.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

But I think, she / he wants to make something like a wait state in Status A that can only be reached when "Subflow 1" and "Subflow 2" are both transitioned.

That's not possible without any other apps, as far as I know. To be honest, I don't know any other app that will do that.

I would create two subtasks for the subflows and wait in status a until the subtasks are finished.

Correct, I expect to be able to proceed to A only after both "subflows" had been completed.

My understanding from what Nic was saying was that this would be the "default" JIRA behavior when faced with two routes.

Thanks,   Rick

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2017

No, Jira does not know parallel workflow parts. You can do something similar with subtasks. E.g. create two subtask at the start of the workflow and make a transition from "Start" to "Status A" that can only be fired when all subtask are closed.

So subtasks it is. With this information I can implement the desired functionality.

Thanks to all,

Rick

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2017

If the requirement is to make something go through both "sub flows" before moving on, then yes, absolutely use sub-tasks (and a condition on the main issue saying "can't move until sub-tasks are done).  It's one of the things they are for!

lucullus@applikon-biotechnology.com September 7, 2017

Thanks Nic, that's the answer. I have made it work using subtasks .

Suggest an answer