Trying to configure permissions for an HR workflow

Ben Radlinski March 15, 2018

I've created a project for our HR department to log HR related issues. Due to obvious confidentiality issues, I'm attempting to lock it down, but still make it functional. 

The project has its own permission scheme.

I originally had the HR group and the Admin group in the "Browse Projects" section. Users were still able to create HR issues, but did not receive notifications despite having "reporter" in every section of the notification scheme.

I added our company group to "Browse Projects" and as expected, everyone can see the issues and thus, I can't deploy the project like that. Is there any way to do this in JIRA?

"This" being: a project that allows users to create and comment on their own issue, but not see any other issues in the project?

Thanks.

6 answers

0 votes
Pouján (Jiralísta) July 31, 2018

Hi Ben,

I'm looking for companies using Jira for their HR processes to use it as reference to pitch Jira at our company for HR. If your company is 100+ (employees) and doesn't want to stay anonymous, would you please send me the name? Much appreciated! You can send it to x :) Best, pj

0 votes
Abdullah Bamuhrez April 2, 2018

Hi, 

To check why notification is not working for an issue reporter, Use the notification helper in the System Panel (Need to login as Jira Admin). 

You can check there why the notification is not sent to an issue reporter.

Ben Radlinski April 3, 2018

I am unable to use the helper because the ticket number does not appear in the list of available options.

0 votes
Abdullah Bamuhrez March 30, 2018

Hi,

We have been doing this for several projects on our Jira V 7.3.4 using only permissions scheme. 

Set the permissions as follow: 

1. Project browse access to: HR Users group, Reporter, Assignee and Watchers.
  2. Create issue permission to:  HR Group and Application access (Jira Software)
  3. Assignable permission to: HR Group and Application access (Jira Software)
  4. Assign Issues permission to: HR Group and Reporter 
  5. Edit Issues to: HR Group: Reporter and Current Assignee 

You can create a role for HR Group for the project and assign the permissions to the role instead of the group which is a better practice. You can figure other permissions based on the above sample. It follows similar pattern.

I hope this help you.

I tried this configuration, and unfortunately I'm still getting the same result. The new ticket is not created when a user emails the hrhelp email address. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Abdullah Bamuhrez April 3, 2018

Hi Ben,

Is creating Issue using Jira screen work for you with the correct access right (Reporters will see only their issues)?

If you are using email to create issue then you have to setup the email handler :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-802592933.html

Creating issues works, yes. I already have a mail handler, and I can see the issue being created in the server logs. However, I am unable to see it in the project.

Abdullah Bamuhrez April 3, 2018

Then, could be Issue Security is set for the Issue and you don't have the right to access it. Check what Security Level is defined for the project and add yourself to all of them. 

0 votes
Ben Radlinski March 16, 2018

Thank you both, these were very helpful. I will let you know how things go.

0 votes
mschonarthatlassian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Hello Ben,

If I understood correctly, you want only a few groups to have access to browse the projects and users outside of those groups should only be able to see the issues they create and thus are reporters of. Based on that request, I think that you need to set up an Issue Security Level Scheme. That way, you can set a default value for issues and specify which users/groups/Project Roles can see them. To configure a Issue-Level Security Scheme be sure that you have the “Set Level Security” permission.

Go into Settings> Issues> Issue Security Schemes. There, add a security scheme, click on Security Levels and type in the name you want. After that, click Add on the level you’ve just created and select Reporter. Repeat this process to add all the groups you want. Likewise, click on Default to make that level default for every issue. You can check further information about this topic on our Configuring Issue Level Security documentation.

If you do not wish that users can select “None” as the security level, you also need to make the field required by going to Your Project> Settings> Fields, searching for Security Level and then clicking on Required. Or you can Hide the field to make it not visible on the screen. Please be aware that if there are more projects using this field configuration scheme this change will apply to all of them.

I hope that was helpful for you. Please, let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Prashant Mali
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

issue security level is the best option to handle this kind of situation.

Thanks,

Prashant

0 votes
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Hi Ben,

There is a way to configure it, that it's using issue security.

You can use Issue Security, to set different levels of security, based on users.

This way, only the reporter of the issue will be able to access the issue.

I'm sending you the below documentation, to check if this can help you and in case you need further help, you can return to me.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

Ben Radlinski March 19, 2018

I have everything configured as recommended in the doc above. I created 2 security levels, one for the HR group and one for the users. How do I assign the security to issues? Is there any way to auto assign the security level the same way for every ticket or does the reporter need to assign the security?

Ben Radlinski March 20, 2018

Does issues security work with email generated tickets? It appears that issues created by email are not showing up in the project.

After a test, it appears the issue is created, but it does not appear in the Project:

"2018-03-20 15:37:18,731 INFO [Human Resources] Caesium-1-4 anonymous Human Resources Human Resources[10700]: Issue HR-20 created"

Suggest an answer