Track no of times custom search button is clicked

KD August 17, 2018

I have included a custom search in issue screen, where a user can search for API from API Catalogue (third party tool)

I want to track

• the no of times this search is been used so far
  • users who have been using this search and the time when search was performed

JIRA Version - 7.6.6

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Hi there, KD.

While there is no direct way of keeping track of the usage of custom button from the UI, can you share more details about it so I can have a better understanding on the requirement you have here?

• What type of custom button are you referring to? Do you use a third-party add-on to build it?
  • Which issue screen are you specifically referring to? Create issue, view issue, or any other screen?
  • Any other details you can share on how this custom search is being used?

I am trying to think of a way to capture specific information about this custom search from the logs (if possible). Looking forward to hear from you soon.

KD September 4, 2018

Hi Ahmad

Refer attached screenshot. We have added this to our view "Story" and "Task" Type issues in JIRA.

We have a tool called ignite where we have all the APIs available in our system. The purpose of this search is to allow the user to search for existing APIs and re-use them where necessary.

We would like to know how many times users have been using this search provided in JIRA.

Appreciate you taking time to look into this.

igniteSearch.PNG

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2018

Hello again, KD.

No worries. I tried to search for more information on methods to keep track of specific actions in JIRA (in this case, specific to the number of clicks for the Search ignite! button) but I was not able to find any default features in JIRA web UI / third-party add-on that can perform this.

An alternative way that I can think of is to enable Access Logging which will ultimately log every action in JIRA. You can then tail -f atlassian-jira-http-access.log file specific to the action when the button is clicked and possibly, grep the file with the additional wc -l parameter to for a specific string related to the button, for example.

The downside is that it will grow very, very large if your JIRA instance is busy.

KD September 5, 2018

Hi Ahmad

Thanks for your reply

Does enabling Access Logging impact performance?

Is it possible to create a custom field (counter) which can be incremented every time the button is clicked. 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2018

Hi there, KD.

Tomcat access log is enabled by default in JIRA and found in the Jira Installation Directory. Enabling the HTTP access log via UI, will have its overhead in performance since now we have two access log running but not known to be huge. I personally do not recommend having two access log running for a long time nevertheless.

A counter custom field that you might want to have a look at will be from the Enhancer Plugin for JIRA. Check out the functionality of the counter field before implementing on your instance.

Suggest an answer