Time Spent: is it possible to force / automate this?

Michael Gibson February 17, 2016

Hi,

Many of our Issues are closed with no Time Spent being entered (making the Burndown chart look strange), so I'm wondering what I can do to 'help' team members enter this information.

So I'm wondering if 2 things are possible when dragging an issue to Done?

1. Make entering of Time Spent mandatory - we can Edit the Transition to Done to show the Resolve Issue Screen - but this is mainly a prompt and doesn't force folks to enter Time Spent
  2. Pre-populate the Time Spent field with the Remaining Time

By the way, we have already automated the setting of Remaining Time to zero when Done (via a post function), but want to square away Time Spent also.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mick

2 answers

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2016

Mick, just like Steven said... you can make "logging work" required on certain transitions via JIRA Workflow Validators or JIRA Workflow Properties.

Michael Gibson February 18, 2016

Thanks for the quick response - I'll try it out.  And thanks for the links Gabrielle - that's saves me time looking for them.

Mick

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

Glad we can help you out smile

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

You can mark the field as required during a Workflow Transition using a Validator.

Suggest an answer