Tables in new Jira View Editor

Paul Mc Galey September 13, 2018

Wiki markup supports creating tables using pipe characters. We use these extensively in our issue descriptions, and they render correctly in the new issue view.

However, if we edit the description the new (markdown) editor fails to load giving "This text has unsupported formatting" and we're left editing raw source.

Untitled 8.png

Worse, there seems to be no way to create a table in the new editor.

I searched for any info on this missing functionality and whether there are plans to restore it, but haven't found anything.

Any information/workarounds?

5 answers

15 votes
Shelley Rueger September 18, 2018

Removing tables is a big downgrade in functionality. 

3 votes
Janek Bogucki February 12, 2019

Kindly re-add support for markdown tables. I use them extensively.

3 votes
Deleted user September 13, 2018

This was a really useful feature of the old view. Very powerful in BDD where we start with examples. Also great for modelling data and report features.

1 vote
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2018

I have the same problem.

Don't know if it's a bug or if Atlassian remove the option for wiki markup tables in Jira.

but i have a workaround (that work for now).

When you are in your issue view, for exmaple:

xxxxxxxxx.atlassian.net/browse/NHT-1

Add "?oldIssueView=true" after your issue id, so your url will look like:

xxxxxxxxx.atlassian.net/browse/NHT-1?oldIssueView=true

Than you will have the option to add tables to your description field and it will be shown when you are back to the new look, it goes away if you will try to edit the field in the new look.

Paul Mc Galey September 13, 2018

Thanks, yes I meant to mention that in my original question. My worry is that when the old editor and wiki markup are no longer available (which Atlassian makes clear is going to happen) we'll be stuck.

0 votes
Eike Lange January 13, 2022

This is insane to be removed. We have tables with partly prefilled cells where we just fill in the response later in other cells.

This cant be used anymore and instead of a 2 sec copy and paste operation  the new mode will take up minutes per Ticket. Thats money going down the drain in work time. Not even talking about the pain of doing it the new way.

Also - people are now destroying my tables by editing them in the new editor?

How did this manage to slip through the quality control team?   Did this actually go through quality control?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events