Sub-tasks for Agile Board

alexander rumyantsev December 1, 2015

Hi. For some reason I can't see sub-tasks in Agile board, but we need it. This problem occurs for years, many people complaints about it, but still you do nothing to solve. What's the problem?

P.S. And no, I will not convert issues for one level higher: sub-tasks to tasks and issues into epics. This will not work for my needs as PM in our company.

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2015

Ah!  Right!  So the sub-tasks do appear on the board.  That was leading me in the wrong direction - now you say  "I can see sub-tasks on the board "Active sprints" (2), but not on the Planning board (1)."

That is correct.  There is no point in putting sub-tasks on the planning board, so JIRA Software doesn't bother.  It's by design.  The sub-tasks are ranked with their stories.

Imagine a simple case - ABC-1 has a subtask of ABC-2.  ABC-3 is less important than ABC-1 and has a subtask of ABC-4.  And ABC-5 is less important than 1 and 3.   It's nonsense to try to rank ABC-4 outside the context of ABC-3 - by definition it can't be more important than ABC-1 or ABC-2 because ABC-1 is more important than its parent.  And it can't be less important than ABC-5 because ABC-3 is already more important.

There's some discussion to be had around ranking sub-tasks within their parent (and you can drag them around in the issue view) and how useful that is, but it's pretty useless to show sub-tasks on the planning board.

0 votes
alexander rumyantsev December 10, 2015

The thing is: I can see sub-tasks on the board "Active sprints" (2), but not on the Planning board (1).hjvjv.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2015

Sub-tasks do appear on Agile boards - usually grouped with their parent in their columns.

If they're missing from yours, then check your filters include them correctly.

ChristopherF December 10, 2015

I am also having this same problem.  I even see that the result of the filter used are returning 50 results, however the board only shows 18.  (because it is excluding subtasks)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2015

Could you give us 1. The *whole* filter you use for the board (obscure project names or user names etc if they're sensitive, but we need to see the whole filter structure) 2. A list of your quickfilters 3. A view of your board, or at least the columns you have on it and the cards showing 4. Swimlane definition (if you're using one) (A screenshot might be easier to cover 2, 3 and 4 in one go)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events