Set up Jira Slack bot notifications for only my tickets

Jose Fernandez June 1, 2018

Hi,

I successfully managed to configure Slack's jira bot to notify me from changes in a project, but this results on getting constant update as I receive notifications from any change from any ticket, not only my tickets.

Is there any way I can configure it to only send a notification about the ticket's that I've been assign to?

Thanks,Jose.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2018

Hello @Jose Fernandez

You should be easily able to do that because Jira slack integration has support for "JQL" thu in the JQL you can write

assignee = <your-username>

and you should see notifications only for issues assigned to you in your slack.

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/218475657-JIRA-for-Slack

Sorry, maybe I'm just blind (or in the wrong page).

But this is all I can do in the Slack Channel Config.

I can't see anywhere to place the JQL. Am I in the incorrect place then?

Thanks and sorry if this is really obvious, seems obvious that's why I'm a bit frustrated.Capture.PNG

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2018

As per this guide it's possible,  could you go through this guide and follow the steps mentioned

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/218475657-JIRA-for-Slack

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2018

Basically

1. Visit the JIRA Server alerts page in the Slack App Directory.
  2. Click Install below the JIRA icon on the left.
  3. Choose a channel where you'd like JIRA notifications to be posted.
  4. Click Add JIRA integration.
  5. Copy the webhook URL on the page.
  6. In your JIRA account, click System in the Administration menu.
  7. Click Webhooks in the sidebar under Advanced.
  8. Click Create a Webhook to see the webhook creation form, enter a name (e.g., Slack), and paste in the webhook URL from step #5.
Like # people like this

Feel dumb.

Followed the link and managed to make it work.

Thanks a lot @Tarun Sapra

r.engel March 8, 2019

Hi @Tarun Sapra thanks for this helpful explanation. I did all the steps and added the JQL in 2 ways: 

project = "11Shopsystem / Development " AND assignee = currentuser()

or only 

assignee = "my username"

In both cases the Slack channel did not receive any notifications. 

If I take the JQL out of the webhook configuration, I do receive notifications...but all of the other users too, what I don't want :)

I really hope you can help again! Thanks!

Rafael

erik May 8, 2019

Hi @Tarun Sapra

Will this work with Jira Cloud ?

I got stuck at `step 5` in your explanation . 

I was able to get to `step 8` but did not have the `webhook url` from step 5

Thanks

Erik

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2020

Hi all, I'd like to update you with some information on how you can manage your Slack notifications from Jira.

Firstly, we added some configuration options on getting notified by the app in Direct Messages (DMs). You can use /jira notify in Slack to get started - the bot will guide you through getting personal notifications set up. These notifications go directly to you when actions happen that affect you in Jira, as opposed to more general notifications to a Slack channel.

image.png
(pictured: the message you get from the app after sending /jira notify in Slack)

These notifications can be toggled individually, and you can receive notifications from multiple Jira sites (if you work in multiple sites) into one Slack workspace using the same configuration.

Secondly, Slack added a feature in August 2020 that allows you to mute DMs with apps. In the past, a suggested workaround for getting "ignore-able" notifications from Jira was to set up a dedicated channel with the app, use a project subscription to get messages for one or more projects you were interested in, and then mute the channel. Now you can use /jira notify for these messages and simply mute the app.

image.png

We hope that these changes help you configure Slack and Jira notifications to your taste and make your work easier.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Team

Jeanne Howe September 8, 2020

Hi Daniel,

I have my profile set up so that I do not get notifications on issues that I create/modify.

We have recently connected our Jira instance with Slack. How do I set up the Slack notifications so that I do not get notifications on issues that I have created/modified? Slack does not seem to be respecting my Jira profile settings.

Jeanne

Gerry Bolger December 21, 2020

I'm struggling with this too, when I do /jira notify I get a message '/jira is not a valid command. In Slack messages that start with "/" are interpreted as commands'

And they call me Irish!! [which I am]

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2020

@Gerry Bolger sorry about that! We had a brief incident with the integration earlier today which caused some commands to fail. It's since been resolved, and I believe this should work for you now if you try to use the slash command again. There's also a chance the app isn't installed on your Slack workspace yet, which can be fixed by adding it here. Cheers!

0 votes
Joe Chillinsky August 21, 2020

How can use JQL to only get updates on only the tickets that I reported? I see "Reported By" and "reporter" but what is the right syntax to call out that I want only mine?

tkraikit August 21, 2020

I think

reporter = <your-jira=username>

should also work

0 votes
tkraikit May 28, 2019

I was having trouble getting the JQL in the Jira Server Alerts webhooks-based integration to work, but it looks like the new Jira Cloud Slack app recently had JQL support added. You should now be able to achieve what you're looking for with a simple "assignee = <your-jira-username>" addition.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events