Scriptrunner field in 'search view'

Rina Nir (AC)
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 31, 2016

Question refers to JIRA 7.1.4.

I am not sure if the following behavior is the expected behavior, or if it indicates that I forgot/misconfigured something:

Issue A is linked to issue B.

Issue A has a ScriptRunner field that displays the status name of the status of issue B. Free Text Searcher is configured for the field.

Open a Search view (columns layout) and show the column for the ScriptRunner field. Issue A is displayed with the expected value.

Transition issue B to another status --> refresh the search view --> issue A still shows up with the previous value in its ScriptRunner field.

This is wrong, and makes the ScriptRunner field 'unreliable' for searches. Is there a way to solve this?

(PS: If I open issue A in issue view then the correct value is displayed)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

It's not quite this, under the hood, but the easiest way to think of this is that the values for scripted fields are calculated when the issue they belong to is indexed.  Not when arbitrary unrelated data is changed; the field has no way to "know" what you're changing elsewhere that it needs to pick up on.

So, for A to have its field updated in full, it needs to go through an indexing cycle.  But your changes to B do not cause A to be indexed. 

To "fix" this, you kind of need to add a post-function to every workflow transtion that will look at every link and kick off a reindex of the issue at the other end of the link.

Rina Nir (AC)
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 31, 2016

First, thanks for the quick reply at this nightly hour,

hmmm... I am contemplating if to use the solution you propose, or- if we better just have a text field on A and the post-function in the transition of B should set this value.  The advantage of keeping it as a ScriptRunner field is that it is 'blocked for edit' out of the box, but I am slightly disappointed that I still need to 'housekeep' the field the way you described.

Suggest an answer