Removing unwanted resolution values

Joe Miller March 23, 2018

I have a ton of resolutions built up over the years that are no longer valid.  I want to delete those values from the resolution drop down, but want to know what that will do for the issues that used that resolution.  Will it ask me to move those to a new resolution?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2018

Your instincts are spot on.  Jira will indeed ask you what to swap the issues to.

Deleted user March 23, 2018

Hi @Joe Miller,

You will be able to delete the unrequired resolutions and you will see a screen to map the values from one resolution to another as shown below. As you see it will also show the number of issues which will get affected due to the change.

Change Resolution.png

Tom Hudgins October 30, 2020

What happens if I just want to remove a resolution (or several) from a project using the workflow properties

jira.field.resolution.include

Does this cause problems for issues in the project that have resolutions that are now excluded from the project? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

TLDR: No

The long version:  That's a good question, and I don't think the docs really explain it at all.  The shortest way to explain this is to say that "the properties are only read at run-time".  This means that the property is passive, it's only read when an issue is going through the transition so that Jira can put the right list of resolutions on-screen for the user.

The property will have no effect on old issues.  It will only kick in if you re-open and then re-resolve the issue - at that point, it wll demand you select from the currently available list, you won't be able to select the old excluded resolution.

Like # people like this
Tom Hudgins October 30, 2020

Thanks Nic. Always impressed by your concise, complete answers.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
Jordi Beltran August 9, 2021

I've removed one resolution value and Jira offered me the possibility to replace to another one. Whats happen if I have a workflow where is linked to the removed resolution value? 

Best regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

You will need to edit the workflow, finding the post-functions, conditions and validators that look at the resolution value and change them to the new one (or remove them)

Jordi Beltran August 9, 2021

Thanks Nic. Are there any way to find all the occurrences? 

Best regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2021

Not an easy one.  In the past, I've used Scriptrunner (server) to run over the workflows, or taken an xml backup and brute-force searched it.

Annelotte October 11, 2021

Nick, do you know if it is possible to export all workflows in an XML or JSON format so I can see what exotic post functions and rules have been defined? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2021

Nope, you have to export one at a time.

0 votes
Joe Miller March 23, 2018

Thank you everyone!  I can finally get some of this cleaned up.

Suggest an answer