Remove filter results sorting?

JM R_ May 31, 2016

I have several filter results shown on my dashboard. By mistake I clicked on one of the column headings, now the gadget contents are sorted by that header. I don't want that (my filter has specific ORDER BY statements for that).

How do I remove the sort?

Do I really have to remove and re-add the filter results gadget??

5 answers

4 votes
JB September 11, 2017

I'm having the same issue.

anne-claire.gaudry February 27, 2018

Same issue

Chad Mawhinney June 7, 2018

Still, 2 years later.  C'mon Atlassian, let us unselect our sort on this otherwise useful gadget.

chingting chiu January 27, 2019

Same issue

JasonB3 June 2, 2020

same... using NextGen online - this issue is going on 4 years?

Marshall Smith July 1, 2020

Has anyone found an equivalent gadget without this issue or alternate solution?

This borders on being a very minor security problem, since it seems non-dashboard owners can make changes to an object they shouldn't have permission to change.  Makes me wonder what other interactions could mutate data a user doesn't have permission to change.

1 vote
Ian Seward June 5, 2020

My temporary solution was:

1. Add the field I want sorted as a column. In my case it was Rank.
  2. Sort by this field (Rank).
  3. Remove the column
  4. Hope nobody ever clicks on a column heading ever again.

Hope is not a plan.

It would be great to have the clicking on column headings Sort Asc, Sort Desc, Remove Sort

JasonB3 June 7, 2020

My dashboard is for external customer stakeholders. I too was using the rank column. But I can't control what they click on. 

Your solution is what I ended up doing as well. Except, I have to leave the Rank column visible. At least this gives the user a chance to get back to rank order.

1 vote
Charlie Murfet June 5, 2020

Is this actually a thing? Fantastic work as usual Atlassian

0 votes
JM R_ July 8, 2020

Hey all, there is a bug report FYI https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-47039

But it's been there only 5 years, so it could take a while longer.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

If you edit that filter in the Issue Navigator (aka the filter issues list), you should be able to take your existing filter, click Advanced, and then remove the ORDER BY statement that was added behind the scenes when you clicked the column header.  Save this filter and then your results on the dashboard shouldn't be affected by the auto-sorting. 

JM R_ May 31, 2016

I checked the issue navigator: the filter does not contain any additional ORDER BY statement after clicking the header. Removing the gadget (but leaving the filter) and then re-adding the gadget works. Just removing the column and adding it again to the gadget does not work. (This is JIRA 6.4)

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

Oh gotcha.  I think I misunderstood which column you were talking about (gadget column vs filter column)

Suggest an answer