Quickly add all permissions for user/group via REST?

Garrett G. March 6, 2017

Hi all,

I have a JIRA Server instance that I use for testing, and after I (on occasion) restart this instance and reset our database, I need to re-add project-level permissions for our testing users that don't exist in our live instance. I want to do this via a reset script, which is why I need to use REST. I know I can do this by adding each permission individually into the REST post message, but is there a simpler/faster way to update multiple group permissions for a specific scheme? Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2017

Hi I think it looks like you can grant all you want per scheme.

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/permissionscheme

What is your challenge here?

Garrett G. March 6, 2017

The challenge is that using that endpoint, I have to make a REST call 32 times to grant all permissions to a new user/group. That is really slow and makes for a lot of messy code. I was hoping there was a way to bulk update the permissions - send one REST message, update all the permissions at once. I know this is unlikely, but I thought I would ask.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2017

If you create it for one project and use the same scheme for all? That is maybe not applicable for your testing.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2017

Niclas Sandström [Riada] is right and you can update all permissions for a permission scheme at once. Please check the update method:

{
    "name": "Example permission scheme",
    "description": "description",
    "permissions": [
        {
            "holder": {
                "type": "group",
                "parameter": "jira-developers"
            },
            "permission": "ADMINISTER_PROJECTS"
        },
        {