My JIRA instance was recently put under a proxy so that external users could access it without the need for a VPN-client. However the proxy serves pages via HTTPS, and tomcat serves them over HTTP. I can't change the port on which the proxy forwards the requests, thus I'm stuck using port 80 on tomcat.
JIRA is now reporting some errors related to this, some dashboard widgets do not work, and I can't get my head around the documentation, since it assumes that I have control over the proxy, which I do not.
Could someone hint on how I should modify my server.xml to get rid of the errors?
I've made the BASE URL-changes in JIRA, and turned off GZIP-compression.
And Admin, this is not spam. Nor was the previous question...
It shouldn't be an issue that tomcat is listening on port 80 since the HTTPS proxy is running on 443, the default HTTPS port. (assumption) Whether tomcat runs over SSL or not really has no bearing on the situation because the proxy is running on SSL and is handling the security. Here's an example configuration on our instance:
<Connector port="8091" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" connectionTimeout="20000" enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" protocol="HTTP/1.1" useBodyEncodingForURI="true" acceptCount="100" disableUploadTimeout="true" secure="true" proxyName="jiratest.mydomain.com" proxyPort="443" scheme="https" />
So in this example you should change the proxyName to whatever the https URL is for your domainm the rest can stay but you should take into account your instance size and more when working our the MaxThreads, minSpareThreads, connectionTimeout and more.
Now there's a couple ways to get the redirect for your site to function as expected:
At this point, it seems like you're going to need some interaction with the proxy administrators unless anyone else has a clever idea.
"https" to the connector config, removed the error messages.
Now the only thing remaining is a few dashboard widgets that don't work. The Activity Stream is one of them.
Checking the URL:s for those widgets, I find that they still contain old URL-references.
Will this be resolved if I get the proxy guy to implement the changes you suggested?
Which type of Proxy is this? It sounds like it may be incorrectly configured, or you may need to flush your JIRA caches out. The first sounds like the most likely culprit. Do you have an screenshot of the errors that your can share? It may be worth sticking a support ticket in to Atlassian. This is what I found: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Displays+an+Error+Banner+about+the+Base+URL
If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot