Project planning within JIRA - can I discard MS Project?

I'm evaluating Tempo to see if it can replace our current system for traditional task and project planning (not Agile). To manage the IT portfolio right now, we use MS Project and a series of spreadsheets that require manual intervention to keep the two synchronised.

JIRA and Tempo have ticked a lot of boxes so far, but as far as planning goes, I've found lacking in some key areas. For example:

• speed
  • predecessor/successor relationships
  • cascading changes (e.g. change a task duration, all subsequent tasks move accordingly)

I've had some difficulty integrating / importing between Project and JIRA, but those are separate issues. I'd love to know: is there an add-on or plugin for JIRA that allows for efficient project planning?

I'm not talking multi-year, thousands-of-tasks projects - more on the 3-6 months, 1-200 tasks scale.

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Chris

You might want to check out the following plug-ins:

BigGantt

BigPicture

I have no experience with these but they seem to be what you're looking for.

BR

Marius

BigGantt is pretty darned nice

BigPicture is BigGantt plus a Resource Model, so even closer to MS Project

Hi Chris,

You might also want to look into JIRA Portfolio, which is an "agile portfolio management tool, built for JIRA" by Atlassian themselves.  You don't have to use it in an "agile" fashion if you don't want to.  I don;t know what your speed requirements are, but for project management using JIRA work items it's pretty good.

Please take also a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/tempoplugin

The videos about Tempo Planner might give you some more information about available features and possibilities.

Regards,

Susanne

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

196 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you