Open issues are appearing with a strike through on the agile and sprint boards

Hi There,

My open issues are appearing with a strike through on the agile and sprint boards. Each issues "Resolution" state is listed as "unresolved". How do I remove the strike through? 

rebs

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Two things - remove the data that breaks JIRA, then repair the broken ones.

1.  You have almost certainly broken your JIRA by adding "unresolved" as a resolution.  Change it to another name like "do not use this resolution" immediately.
  2. Next, see how many issues have that resolution.  They're all going to need to be pushed through a transition that says "clear the resolution" on a post-function (or use the "fix resolution" canned script in the script runner)
  3. Now go through ALL of your screens - make sure the resolution field is only in transition screens where people are closing an issue.  It must never go on edit or create screens.
  4. Once you've done that, delete the "do not use this resolution" value from the list

I sense the frustration from having to answer that same question over and over. It seems that every single JIRA admin has had that issue at some point. There are no good reasons to set a resolution anywhere but in a transition. I wonder why Atlassian doesn't just restrict the Resolution field and make it special like status, in the sense that it's changed through a transition and not an edition.

I'd have gone one further and dumped resolution as the "how do we know it's done with" question.  If you care to search (although it's really boring and repetetive, so I wouldn't), you'll find my whinging on the subject going back at least 8 years wink

Thanks for the posts on this, it did help me figure out the reason for the strike-through's on my project.   

So to clarify, if you have ANYTHING in the transition post function at any status, including "Unresolved”, it looks at the fact that SOMETHING is the field, and considers it resolved and strikes through the issue ID.  

I noticed this specifically on the ALL status transition post functions that I have to create a post function for Resolution to be “None”, even though it still shows up on the issue and in search queries as "Unresolved".  

The trick here is that one is real, and the other is false - and it IS sneaky, since you can't tell visually if it's actually EMPTY or UNRESOLVED - because they both say “Unresolved”.  I know that Atlassian says this "isn't a bug" and it's "tricky" but this feels like a bug to me.  The work-around is to do a query to find these issues, change the status, change it back, and Wa-La, it removes the strike through. 

query:

resolution != EMPTY and status not in (Closed, Complete, Cancelled, Done)

>actually EMPTY or UNRESOLVED - because they both say “Unresolved”

That's the reason we all scream "never add a resolution of unresolved".

Kristin Fast explained it nicely for new Admins. It helped me get rid off strik-throughs for issues that were moved back from RESOLVED to a status back in workflow. We had few such issues that were RESOLVED mistakenly. When we moved them back, it retained the strike-through's even though I was setting the Resolution to "Unknown" via a post function. Based on Kristin's comments, I updated that post function to "clear" the Resolution field and it fixed it.

This is a very common issue. "Unresolved" counts as a resolution. Basically, you need to make sure that the Resolution field is only set in a transition screen to a Resolved status (or equivalent).

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/95752

Interesting enough, there are tickets that have the same resolution state (unresolved) that do NOT have the same strike through. 

Agile Board.jpg1346 Ticket_WITHOUT a strike through.jpg1345 Ticket_with a strike through.jpg

Like Nic says, you have a resolution that's literally named "Unresolved", while JIRA displays "Unresolved" where there is no resolution. It's sneaky.

Those issues are properly unresolved, rather than unresolved.

That is, the ones with a strikethrough are resolved, because you've put something in the resolution field.  Doesn't matter that the word you have used is "unresolved", the field is filled, therefore the issue is resolved.

The unresolved ones without a strikethrough are unresolved because the field is empty.  JIRA is displaying unresolved because the field is empty and it wants to show you something other than a blank space.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

87 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you