Only show subtasks when a parent issue is in certain state

Mike M March 28, 2017

Hi,

I want to be able to create a board where I can see all subtasks of a parent issue, but only if that parent issue is in a particular state.

My situation is I have a parent issue with 3 main states. I have 2 boards, board X that deals with the parent issues in states 1 and 2, and board Y that deals with only parent issues in state 3. Now board X that deals with states 1 and 2 only shows parent issues and no subtasks so no problem there. Board Y shows parent issues in state 3 only and a collection of subtasks.

Now the problem is when subtasks are added to a parent issue when it is in states 1 or 2. What happens is the subtasks end up appearing in board Y when it's too early for them to do so, whilst also making the parent issue visible in board Y when it shouldn't be.

So what I want is something like the following:

project = XXX AND issuetype = "Parent" AND STATUS = "State 3" OR (issuetype in ("subtasktype1", "subtasktype2", "subtasktype3") AND parent in (status = "state 3)) ORDER BY Rank ASC

My searches online tell me that JIRA can't do this out the box and the only way to do what I want is by using the (no longer free) ScriptRunner plugin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as getting a paid plugin is not an option.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Cristina_Abunei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2017

Hello,

I can use the "Parent Status" field in my queries. I don't think it's shipped with a plugin, certainly not with ScriptRunner (I have it disabled on a test instance).

So you can query for:

"Parent Status" = <Status>

Mike M March 29, 2017

Hi Cristina,

Thanks for your response but "Parent Status" is not part of my JIRA install (v7.3) so you must be getting that from one of the plugins you have installed.

Suggest an answer