Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

On completing sprint the incomplete issues are moving to backlog

Hi,

I use jira 7.2.7 from april 2017.

On completing the sprint, all the incomplete issues will move to next active sprint by default.

Now when i checked a day before, on completing sprint it is displaying options like backlog, and sprint name and by default backlog is selected. I do have next sprint. 

If there are no sprints the incomplete issues will move to backlog or else it will move to next available sprint. This is the behaviour we expect and this was the case earlier.

Is this a recent change? Can any one please explain and let me know how can i default the incomplete issues to move to next available sprint?

Thanks,

Krithica

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas B Community Leader Feb 05, 2018

Hello,

Upon completing a sprint, if you already have other sprints in planning (on the backlog) you will have the option to move the issues to the backlog OR to the available sprints. The question you submitted is similar to the questions raised back in 2015 (Similar Question) and has gone unanswered to this day. 

However, according to the scrum handbook, moving issues directly into the next sprint is bad practice because it does not give your business analysts or project managers the ability to review and vet each issue prior to starting a new sprint. Each issue in a sprint should be reviewed prior to starting a new sprint. That being said, defaulting issues to the backlog may be intentional?

Thomas Deiler Community Leader Feb 05, 2018

Dear @Thomas B and @Krithica Gowri Shankar,

Thomas B is totally right. I even would say that moving issue somewhere else at the end of a sprint is a signal, that you have to improve as a whole team. It should be an exception doing this.

Best you talk about the reasons for this in the next retrospective and find some good action items.

So long

Thomas

Hi,

I understand that its not a good practise. But there is a requirement in my project to directly move it to next sprint.

Is there a approach to directly move it to next available sprint?

Atleast can i reorder the options like sprints name at first and backlog as last option?

Thanks,

Krithica

Thomas Deiler Community Leader Feb 07, 2018

Dear @Krithica Gowri Shankar,

you have one chance. Create a post-sprint-finished-script, that move this stories from  the backlog t the next sprint. You can do this probably with script runner (but there I am not familiar) or by touching the Rest API.

That depends on your budget and/or your coding abilities.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

3,894 views 11 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you