On completing sprint the incomplete issues are moving to backlog

Krithica Gowri Shankar February 4, 2018

Hi,

I use jira 7.2.7 from april 2017.

On completing the sprint, all the incomplete issues will move to next active sprint by default.

Now when i checked a day before, on completing sprint it is displaying options like backlog, and sprint name and by default backlog is selected. I do have next sprint. 

If there are no sprints the incomplete issues will move to backlog or else it will move to next available sprint. This is the behaviour we expect and this was the case earlier.

Is this a recent change? Can any one please explain and let me know how can i default the incomplete issues to move to next available sprint?

Thanks,

Krithica

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2018

Hello,

Upon completing a sprint, if you already have other sprints in planning (on the backlog) you will have the option to move the issues to the backlog OR to the available sprints. The question you submitted is similar to the questions raised back in 2015 (Similar Question) and has gone unanswered to this day. 

However, according to the scrum handbook, moving issues directly into the next sprint is bad practice because it does not give your business analysts or project managers the ability to review and vet each issue prior to starting a new sprint. Each issue in a sprint should be reviewed prior to starting a new sprint. That being said, defaulting issues to the backlog may be intentional?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

Dear @Thomas B and @Krithica Gowri Shankar,

Thomas B is totally right. I even would say that moving issue somewhere else at the end of a sprint is a signal, that you have to improve as a whole team. It should be an exception doing this.

Best you talk about the reasons for this in the next retrospective and find some good action items.

So long

Thomas

Krithica Gowri Shankar February 6, 2018

Hi,

I understand that its not a good practise. But there is a requirement in my project to directly move it to next sprint.

Is there a approach to directly move it to next available sprint?

Atleast can i reorder the options like sprints name at first and backlog as last option?

Thanks,

Krithica

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2018

Dear @Krithica Gowri Shankar,

you have one chance. Create a post-sprint-finished-script, that move this stories from  the backlog t the next sprint. You can do this probably with script runner (but there I am not familiar) or by touching the Rest API.

That depends on your budget and/or your coding abilities.

So long

Thomas

Suggest an answer