On a PUT request I recieve a customfield cannot be set error

David van Staden February 11, 2021

I use Postman to test a PUT request in my JIRA sandbox. 

My JSON body:

{    "update": {"customfield_15315": [{"set":"11111011112"}]}}

but keep on getting the following response:

{    "errorMessages": [],    "errors": {        "customfield_15315": "Field 'customfield_15315' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."    }}

I essentially just want to edit one field on the issue. I get this error on all the field, custom and standard.

I have admin rights and the field is visible the create/view/edit screens of this project.

This is my path rest/api/2/issue/464382 with no parameters set

1 answer

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

@David van Staden

That syntax is correct. When you say it's visible, can you please confirm that if you try to create/edit an issue through the UI, you can actually see the field you want to populate?

Thanks,

Kian

David van Staden February 11, 2021

Hi Kian,

Thanks for the reply.

I can see the field on my create & view screen.

What bothers me is if I run the following GET request https://jira.stage.eu-west-1.aws.clickatell.com/rest/api/2/issue/464382/editmeta

I only get this response: {    "fields": {}}

I was under the impression that the response should list all fields available.

When I run this GET request https://jira.stage.eu-west-1.aws.clickatell.com/rest/api/2/issue/464382/?

I get a response with all fields on that issue, even the fields that are not visible on the screen.

David van Staden February 16, 2021

@Kian Stack Mumo Systems 

Any other ideas in regards to what I can look out for?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

@David van Staden

That is odd, as that URL works for me if I want to look at the edit meta in my instance. Are you having problems with other API's, or just these ones?

Thanks,

Kian

Suggest an answer