Newbie help with workflow

Hi There,

Setting up a new business and I want to track progress on Building certification jobs.

Basic steps are: 

1. Client Enquiry
  2. Proposal Sent
  3. Acceptance Received
  4. Send Checklist
  5. Follow-up Documentation
  6. Receive Payment
  7. Issue CC or CDC
  8. Notify Council
  9. Carry Out Inspections (Sub steps Inspection 1,2,3,4,5)
  10. Issue Final Occupancy (or Interim)

How do I set this up and is worflow the right way to do it?

Any guidance or even a URL to a tutorial would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

Actually, there's not a lot more to it.

You have a process that a item should go through, and to build a workflow, you need to get a list of distinct steps, and link them together with actions that change the status.

Your list is not quite the status list, I think it's a mix of status and transition - you want status to represent where the item is in the process and transtions to be what you do to progress.   An easy way to identify a status is to use it as a description - "My issue is New, my issue is Waiting for acceptance, my issue is complete"

To step through yours, I'd say you want

• New (client has enquired, you've written up a new issue).
    • Transition: proposal sent
    • Transition: cancel request
  • Waiting for response
    • Transition: Accepted by client
    • Transition: Proposal rejected (go back to new)
  • Need to send checklist

... and so-on.

You might also want to think about breaking it up a bit - check list and follow-up docs might be better as sub-tasks or even just check boxes to confirm you've done it.

The other tips are generalised:

• Always think about how you go back in a workflow, as it might not be right to always go forward.
  • Also think about how you cancel or pause a request part way through
  • Think about the Resolution field - you want to set that when an issue reaches a "this is complete" status, and clear it if re-opened.  Even if you don't want to use it at all, you still want to set/clear it, or JIRA's reporting and gadgets won't work properly.
Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Feb 17, 2016

+1! Very good explanation!

Thanks Nic, your point re differentiating status & transitions is a very good one. 

I have to say I know what I want, but I'm struggling a bit with the learning curve to configure Jira. So many things to do setting up a new business smile

Thanks Ignacio, I'll take a look. smile

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Calling all developers––You're invited to Atlas Camp 2018

Atlas Camp   is our developer event which will take place in Barcelona, Spain  from the 6th -7th of   September . This is a great opportunity to meet other developers and get n...

77 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you