Need SubTask Relevant QueryString parameters

Laxman Prasad Kuppili August 11, 2020

Hi Team,
Please help me here.

As part of daily routines of creating Tasks & their Sub-Tasks.

We generally create Sub-Task on Task page but I am planning for a below minor web based tool with single form.

I want to design a form with the following fields for a sub-task creation. The form can be built using any framework like Java, Dot Net or Appian BPM tool.

1. Task Number (Input field)

2. Assignee (Input Name/User ID/Email ID field)

3. Title for Sub Task (Input Field)

4. Description for Sub Task (Input Text Area field)

5. Due Date for Sub Task (Input Date Field)

6. SUBMIT button.

Expectation in Submit button:

The Submit button event will take the inputs of the above controls and appends the values to the respective parameters in the query string. 

Example: jiratickets.com/projectname/CreateSubTaskIssue!default.jspa?parentIssueId=123456&taskNumber=1234&assignee=ABCD&Title=xyz&description=uvwxyz&dueDate=01012020/

So, in my case, I would like to know the jira standard notations of the parameter names for the fields 1 to 5 above. Although Description can be omitted if not feasible.

Any suggestion please?

1 answer

0 votes
Sherry Goyal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2020

@Laxman Prasad Kuppili 

Hello! Thanks for writing. I am not sure about which Jira APIs could be directly used in your case as that is outside my knowledge(somebody from the team will answer it) but I think you might be able to use "Automation" for Jira here.

You can use "Incoming webhook" trigger(choose option "Issues provided in the webhook HTTP POST body"). More details here.

You can plan the rule like this: 

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 4.31.16 pm.png

Where in webhook json you can send data, as explained further in curl representation. In "issues" (which is must) you put list of tickets of which you want to create subtasks.

curl -X POST -H 'Content-type: application/json' --data '{"issues":["ISSUE-1"],"task":["title1", "title2", "title3"]}' https://YOURHOOKENDPOINT/hooks/....
Then you can access "task"(can be anything as per your wish) list like {{webhookData.task.get(0)}} will give you "title1" in this case. Similarly you can create more list fields which you can easily access. 
If this seems encouraging and resolves your concern, you might wanna give it a shot.
Let us know in case of further queries.

Cheers
Sherry(A4j)
Laxman Prasad Kuppili August 14, 2020

Thanks @Sherry Goyal  for the response.

To be honest, I am not much from Programming background but trying whole-heartedly to accomplish. I work as Application Manager delegate and I create Sub-tasks in addition to my risk management routine.

Creation of sub-tasks is painful every time to fill by opening the Tasks. Rather, I would like to create a single web form as below and the submit button should do the job of appending the values taken from the controls.

1. taskNumber = Task Number (Input field)

2. assignee = Assignee (Input Name/User ID/Email ID field)

3. title = Title for Sub Task (Input Field)

4. dueDate = Due Date for Sub Task (Input Date Field)

5. SUBMIT button.

Expectation in Submit button:

The Submit button event will take the inputs of the above controls and appends the values to the respective parameters in the query string. 

Example:

jiratickets.com/projectname/CreateSubTaskIssue!default.jspa?parentIssueId=123456&taskNumber=1234&assignee=ABCD&title=xyz&dueDate=01012020/

But, after reading your response, I understand that the above approach will not work where the submit button should hit the framed URL by us which has values taken from form.

Please add more details to the below to help me understand better.

I've hit 'Create' button on Sub-Task form on actual JIRA and in the Inspect element > Console, I saw the below data.

[{"atlassian.numCreates:":1,"edit.form": false, "pid":"added"; "issuetype":"added";"formToken":"added";"summary":"added";"description":"added"; "duedate":"added";"assignee":"added";"reporter":"added";"customfield_1234":"added"}]

but no values that i gave were captured in the above content.

Any suggestions? why no values? and how can I get this done? please.

where can i pass the above content in the SUBMIT button hit? Only i succeed in getting the values rather "added"

Laxman Prasad Kuppili August 20, 2020

@Sherry Goyal 

Can you please help

Sherry Goyal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2020

@Laxman Prasad Kuppili  Hello!

You are asking for very jira specific thing here which is outside my capabilities. Apologies for the same. Not sure why you want to capture this data in inspect element. Though I can share link for rest APIs for jira if this be of any help to you in anyway.

I can help you with setting or executing of rule using "Automation", if that helps you in your case. Let us know in case of concerns.

Cheers
Sherry

Suggest an answer