MySql timeout on Closing Issue

Kevin Tracy December 21, 2015

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with MySql timing out when I try to close certain issues. This only occurs on one workflow, and not on every ticket in that workflow. I am having a hard time isolating the issue and any ideas for how to troubleshoot would be appreaciated.

Here is the error:

Selection_016.png

Thanks,

Kevin

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

Ouch, that one usually implies you've got something (either inside or outside JIRA) doing something bad in the database.

Do you have any post-functions on the transition that is failing?  Could you list all of them for us?  Also, do you have anything that touches the database in any way?

But, first, definitely try Gabrielle's point about the integrity checker.  That's the most important step.

Kevin Tracy December 22, 2015

I've since discovered that this occurs not only on Close, but on any transition from this one Status ("Retention in Progress") to another status. So it appears the problem may be with this step/status. The integrity check came up with some stepId errors, which is interesting because the error I posted above occurs on "UPDATE OS_CURRENTSTEP". However, these errors are on a totally different project/workflow, so maybe it's just a coincidence. Screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/g6ubymj5x/ As far as post functions, we have one one scripted postfunction plus the 5 that are native to the transition (Trigger generic event, etc.). We also have several scripted validators. But I tried disabling all of these one by one to no avail. Thanks for your attention to this issue, Nic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

Ok, what version of JIRA are you on (older ones have a known issue with this, only fix is to upgrade)? Also, can you check that your database is using Read-committed transaction isolation? That's the usual culprit (although I'd expect similar errors to be appearing in other places)

Kevin Tracy December 23, 2015

Our JIRA version is 6.4.11 and the transation isolation level is "REPEATABLE-READ"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2015

Ok, the bug was fixed in 5.0 (possibly 4.something high), so it's not the version. However, the transaction isolation level is wrong - it needs to be read-committed - change that in the database while JIRA is offline and restart JIRA, then retry your transitions.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2015
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2015

Indexing won't help, it is *only* used for searching and reading, never writing data.

Suggest an answer