Moving issues between columns

Darshit Thakkar September 3, 2017

Hi !

I've a question - While moving tickets from one column to another, For e.g moving a ticket from in progress to QA, can I check if certain fields are updated or not?

I want to enforce a condition when moving tickets from in development to QA, the developers need to update "Fix versions" field.?

Is there anyway I can write custom check or queries in Jira so that the tickets are not moved unless they update "fix versions" field?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2017

A column is a selection of issues based on their status.  Status is an indicator of where an issue is in the workflow.  The workflow is a project setting.

A workflow is a collection of status, and a set of transitions that join them together, so that people can move issues from one status to another.

If you want to stop transitions happening, you need to place conditions on them.  Or, if you want to check that the data going into issues is valid, use validators to check thm.

So, edit the workflow and put the relevant conditions or validators on  the transitions.

Darshit Thakkar September 4, 2017

Thank you for your prompt reply. So under workflows, I tried to edit the workflow for the statuses and I couldn't find the option to place conditions. I could see properties for a status which accepts a key and a value.

Darshit Thakkar September 4, 2017

Never mind, found the "conditions", thank you !!! Appreciate your help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2017

I just edited your question (title and first paragraph) because it made no sense, and I am hoping that you can get a more useful answer by explaining the problem in "JIRA speak".  Columns and Swimlanes are very different things.  I think you have a good question here, but have not been clear on how you are using columns and swimlanes.

Darshit Thakkar September 3, 2017

I am using columns - To do, In Progress, QA, done, etc. in order to determine the status of the tickets or issues. I configured these as columns using Board settings. Now I want certain conditions enforced while moving tickets from one column to another.

Suggest an answer