Modify status in multiple workflows?

Avi Hiro December 29, 2015

Hi, a colleague somehow managed to change the Done status of all active and inactive workflows, in one go, to some custom status XYZ.

She can't tell how she did it (it may have happened after adding a new workflow).

I'd like to know if there's any way to reverse this operation and put the Done status back in place instead of XYZ?

• Doing it manually over plenty of workflows will consume a lot of time because the Done state is linked to several transitions in each workflow. Moreover, it cannot be done on active workflows, so every active workflow should be copied, modified and then re-assigned.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Login with a user account with admin privileges.

Press the dot key '.'

Start writing Statuses and click on it.

Find the status name you want and click on Edit to be able to change its name.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Alternatively, on Cloud, you can reach the Statuses page by modifying your company name in the following URL: https://YOUR_COMPANY.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa

1 vote

BTW, note to JIRA: it is overwhelming that I had to ask a work colleague to create an account and upvote my question just to unlock the 3-points-new-user-limitation in order for me to be able to reply to answers to my own question...

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

+1'ed

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

Perhaps you could have commented on those answers without any restrictions? Technically, you responded by supplying a different answer to your own question, which is conceptually a little odd.

Maybe. Can't recall if I tried or not. However, being used to add another comment on a Jira ticket and seeing this behavior in many answers I read here gives the feeling it should be ok to add a reply. In any case, "You are not permitted to perform this operation" is a poor poor way to help me understand what to do.

0 votes

@Ignacio Pulgar: You da man!

Eventually the status was indeed renamed from Done to XYZ. The reason why it was hard to identify it was that a new Done status was created. This is just part of the Comedy of Errors that's been going on. I guess I chose the wrong week to be on vacation laugh

Thanks for the advice. You saved me a lot of hassle.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

Cool :)

0 votes

Thanks @Ignacio Pulgar, but this is not a name changing issue. This new custom status magically took the place of the built-in "Done" status in all schemes.
For example, looking at the "Closed" status (which has a similar role to our "Done" status) in the default JIRA workflow, it is being linked from all other statuses. The change I'm talking about caused the "Closed" status to be replaced with "XYZ" such that now "XYZ" is linked from all the other statuses.

She said that JIRA asked at some point if to perform an operation in all schemes (or something like that) and this caused the replacement to occur in over 20 schemes (backup copies included).

Phill - I agree with Ignacio Pulgar's answer.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

Have you tried looking for the status named "XYZ" in the Statuses view? From there, you can Edit its name back to Done, not mattering whether the wizard screen prompted to your colleague or not.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

Oh, and that name change will be automatically reflected on all workflows using said status.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2015

Further to the comment from @Ignacio Pulgar check whether your colleague should have full administration privileges or just project administration to avoid a repeat or similar mistake.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2015

I agree admin privileges should only be granted to people who know what they are doing, but knowledge on how to use JIRA is usually acquired by trial and error, and most companies lack expert users when they started using this tool...

Suggest an answer