Migrating multiple projects and issues to new JIRA instance

David J Ogier September 29, 2016

Hi.

The company I have joined have made a complete mess of their JIRA implementation that we are decided it is best to start again with a new, clean instance.

Unfortunately there is data that we need to copy across (including Tempo and Confluence), but an export / import to csv won't capture everything.

Are there any routines / scripts that could accomplish the data migration and populate the appropriate tables without us having to go through a massive manual exercise?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2016

I would consider setting up a brand new instance in parallel, create a federated jira setup using application links which allows you to migrate select projects to the new server. This way you don't need scripts that exports/imports, but simply create new projects on the new server and bulk move issues to the new box, to new projects with permissions and what not. As for Tempo i am assuming the data stored in relation to projects (like the time spent) would be transfered as well, as long as you have the appropriate fields on the new JIra instance. Once you are done with the old server, you should be able break the application link, reindex and simply keep running on the new box.

There is more about federation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/federating-jira-managing-multiple-instances-461504624.html

Suggest an answer