Merging 2 projects

Melanie Babour November 14, 2016

Hello, 

I have two JIRA projects for the same client (one for marketing and the other for development). I want to know if it the best way is to bulk import the issues from one project to the other, and what are the consequences of doing this (eg. a change in the issue numbers, problems with attached files, etc).

Thank you!

1 answer

1 vote
Deleted user November 14, 2016

Hi Melanie,There are multiple consequences and a few are:

1. Project key will be different and you may need to update all your filters
  2. Workflows may not match and you may lose data integrity
  3. Field schema may be different and need better planning to avoid loss of data
  4. Default Assignee may be different between the projects and may cause issues
  5. Any reports generated out of the projects may need to be verified and updated (Ref: easyBI)

Question: Are you planning to move all the issues from one to other or only some of them in bulk? What is your goal?

Additional Info:

I have been through the path and I would suggest to use Bulk Clone to clone the issues rather moving the issues. You will have to analyze the workflows on both source and target projects to understand how many transitions you will have to go through and create a plan for doing the exercise.

1. Bulk Clone works good at JIRA Server and may not be available for Cloud.
  2. There are limitations on number of issues you can clone in an attempt and that can be adjusted by system administrator if required.
  3. Closed issues on your source projects will appear as New after bulk cloning and you will have to do bulk updates too.
Melanie Babour November 15, 2016

Hi Guhan,

Thank you for answering me! 
Both projects have the same workflow, scheme and default assignee, so that won't be a big problem.
We have one project that's only for the marketing issues of the client and the other one that is for everything else. The idea is to move all the issues (almost 400) from the marketing project to the other one and only have one project for each client. But I wasn't sure what the consequences were, so before doing it I wanted to do some research.

Deleted user November 15, 2016

Thanks Melanie,

Suggestions: Collect statistics on number of issues by component, issue type, and status. Plan to disable webcast and outgoing e-mails, then do the bulk clone and required updates, then enable webcast and outgoing e-mails. I have done it for 36K+ issues without any exception. If you need further help, I can be contacted.

Suggest an answer