Making a new jira board private

Matt.Patman January 13, 2021

Hello.

I'm spinning up a new team to manage a new ATS contract.
We've begun the procurement process and are starting to build a backlog or requirements.

One of the bidders is our current provider, for obvious reasons i need to ensure they do not have access to the new board.

I've created a new board and tried to ensure that only a few can access it. I've run a few tests and so far everyone can access it.

I've followed advice from posts that I've found in this community, but I've been unsuccessful.

Please help.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi Matt,

Yes, you can accomplish that by using Issue Level Security. You can learn more about that here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2021

Hey @Matt.Patman - you can control who the board filter is shared with so the supplier doesn't see the new board. I suspect it would be best to share it by Project Role. 

Like Matt.Patman likes this
1 vote
Ryan Gross January 13, 2021

Hi Matt,

I'm assuming you're talking about a project board, and not a dashboard. With project boards there are type sharing areas that you'll need to manage for this; the "share" options in the board's general settings, and the "share" options on the associated issue filter.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-a-classic-board/#Sharing-a-board

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/save-your-search-as-a-filter/#Savingyoursearchasafilter-sharing_filtersShareafilter

The "best practice" configuration for the type of sharing you're describing would be to share the filter with the desired project & same for the board, rather than sharing with users/groups, which means accessing the board & filter should depend on your ability to access the project.

Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

Ryan Gross January 13, 2021

In rereading your question, I'm now realizing you're saying that those who shouldn't have access to said board are admins on your instance...is this correct?

If so, then just the sharing alone won't prevent that, as admins have special access...in which case, you'd want to use issue-level security, per John's reply.

Matt.Patman March 10, 2021

Thank you for the replies and apologies for the delay in responding.

We are going through procurement for a replacement supplier and the new project board will be used to manage this.

One of the tenders is the existing supplier.
They have admin access to the existing project board, but I need to limit their access to the new board - until the new supplier is confirmed, without removing their access to the existing project board.

Suggest an answer