Logic to not create sub-tasks in a transiton if the sub-tasks are already created

Hi, in my workflow, there are multiple statuses going to On Hold.

• "On hold" status can only be reached from New or Preparation and Analysis state. 

Note - "Send for analysis" is the transition between New or Preparation and Analysis state as well as On Hold to Preparation and Analysis

• On “send for analysis” transition from On hold status to Preparation and Analysis status, a new logic is required to not create sub-tasks if the sub-tasks are already created.

How can this be achieved?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

How are you creating the new sub-tasks?  If it's a post-function to create them, I'm afraid you'll probably have to replace it with something more clever - something that executes a search for existing sub-tasks before it creates anything.

Hi.

I reused transition containing the post function that creates the subtasks while moving from On Hold to Preparation and Analysis.While doing so, the subtasks are getting created twice. I would like to know if there could be a condition passed on as while creating the subtask to check if there is an existing subtask already.

Thank you.

Same answer - you'll need to replace those post-functions with others with more code in them, code that can detect the existing sub-tasks and exit before creating the duplicates.

Or duplicate the transition and have one that has conditions saying "only if no subtasks exist" and the other one with a condition of "subtasks must exist".  Again, you'll need a bit of code for them

I am kind of stuck at this place. Could you guide me on what code has to be used to carry it out? 

I am using the following code but the sub tasks aren't getting created.

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.issuetype.IssueType

if (issue.issueTypeObject.name == 'iType') { 
    IssueType issueType = ComponentAccessor.getConstantsManager().getIssueTypeObject("5"); //Since my subtask is Sub-Task
        for(subTask in issue.getSubTaskObjects()) {
            if(subTask.getIssueTypeObject().equals(issueType)) {
                return false;
           }
        } 
    return true;
}

You're comparing strings in the if statement, so it should be

if ("iType".equals(issue.issueTypeObject.name) )

Rest of it looks ok at a glance.

try to add 2 transitions for On Hold to Preparation and Analysis having mutually exclusive conditions based on sub-tasks count.

this way user will see only one of the two transitions.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Friday in Jira Service Desk

Looking for anyone who has switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk

Hi Community! The Jira Service Desk marketing team is looking for customers who have successfully switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk!   We’d love to hear your thoughts on the pros and ...

63 views 6 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you