Linking a Status to a High Level Status

Shariyar Rashid-Qazi January 4, 2017

Hi,

I will try to explain as much as possible, what I am trying to do, your help would be really appreciated.

There are multiple Status' (Those in a workflow for example) e.g. Suspended, Impact Analysis, Test Blocked etc etc. All these status' are somehow linked to a High level status the list is as follows: Pre Dev, In Development, Suspended, Post Dev, Pre Release.

So 

High Level Status                                       Status' contained within High Lvl Status

• Suspended                                      1. Suspended

• Pre Dev                                            1. Impact Analysis

2. Analysing

3. New

4. etc etc

• Post Dev                                           1. Test Blocked

As shown in the image below

Status to High Lvl Status.JPG

Right now the scope of the high level status "Pre Dev" is far too much. What my colleague wants is for a new "High Level Status" to be entered named "In analysis" Which I think I know how to do via the custom field option shown below.

Custom Field Option.JPG

What I would like to know is how I can remove 3 status' (In analysis, analysed and analysing) that are currently assigned to the High Level Status "Pre Dev" and assign those status' to the new "High Level Status" that I will make and named "In Analysis". This in turn will expand on this dashboard gadget.

Dashboard.JPG

I hope this was clearly explained, any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

You can't do it the way you describe.  You can get rid of the three status in "pre dev", but that means removing them from the workflow, and you won't get your "expand"

The closest you can get to this is to

1. find/write a listener (or post function, which might be a bit painful because you'll need to remember to add it to every transition in every workflow!) that will look at the current status and update your high-level status field as needed
  2. Use the script-runner or add-on to create a scripted or calculated field that will work out the high-level status from the status.
Shariyar Rashid-Qazi January 4, 2017

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not too familiar with scripting as off yet, so for now unfortunately I think I will have to opt for changing the post-functions so I would just like to confirm something. There are only 2 workflows that use these post functions, and looking through the transitions of the status' there are only a few "analyse, analysis and in analysis" status'. Do I only need to swap these 3 status' to high level status "in analysis" for it to function ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

Yes, although that does mean losing the three status.

Suggest an answer