Limited Access to Guest users

DJ July 21, 2020

How are you giving limited access to your guest users on jira cloud or confluence cloud? Is there a way to limit the access project based or space based?

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2020

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to give them only "Can Use" Global Permission and then give each user the Space Permission that they require and don't use groups. If you have multiple users that all need the same access, you could create a group and use that group to grant the access, though.

DJ July 22, 2020

I dont see a setting for Can Use under global permissions! Maybe I am looking at it wrong. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

Ah sorry. It's called "Use Confluence" in Cloud.  Didn't notice you're using Cloud initially.

DJ July 22, 2020

That worked! thank you.

Would you happen to know anything similar for Jira ? I have been struggling with Jira-core for limiting guest access. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2020

It's a similar concept, but you go about things a bit differently in Jira.  I would recommend creating two groups: one for your "normal users" and the other for these "one-off users."  Add both to the Application that they need access to. If you have default access that your normal users should have, you can add the "normal users" group to those, but do not add the "one-off users" to these objects. This effectively grants login only access to the one-off users.  To give them access to Projects, you add them to the appropriate Project Permissions. Ideally, you will assign each Project Permission to an appropriate Project Role, and then you will be able to delegate the management of Project permissions to a Project Administrator (Role that has "Administer Projects" permission granted.) The Project Admin can add individual users to the Role needed.  As with Confluence, you can also make groups for the one-off users if you need to grant multiple people the same permissions. You could also use the same group to grant permissions to Confluence and Jira at the same time, if that applies.  

DJ July 22, 2020

So this is what I did. The existing setup has jira-core-users as a default group. I created another group lets call it "Guest-Test", I added the guest in the guest-test group and removed the user from the jira-core-users. 

I picked one project with custom permissions: I changed the custom permissions and gave the guest-test group to "browse projects" & "create issue".

As soon as I took out the guest user from the jira-core-users group, it doesnt show anything on the login screen. Cant view the project or anything. 

Also, if I take out the guest user from jira-core-users , it takes away the access for jira. Granting access automatically adds it to the core-users group which gets them access to the whole jira. 

Like Kjersti Langseth likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events