Limit group of users to a single project

Quin Church January 7, 2021

Hi folks, this is probably a dumb question but here goes;

What I'm trying to achieve is the following;

Internal staff and admins have default permissions/access behaviour to Jira Service Management and Jira Core. 

For Jira Core products, we often want to invite multiple users from the relevant customer to view their project.

When I have tried to implement this, they have been able to view all Jira Core projects - this is not desirable. 

How do I limit access for a group of users to a single project? To be clear, ideally we would have multiple different groups - each representing a customer, that can each only view the project I assign to that group.

Kind regards

Quin

3 answers

0 votes
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Hello @Quin Church 

Welcome to the Community..!!!

No, its not going to be a dumb question..!!! Community is here to address your queries.

So, the issue you are facing here is just because of the permissions schemes which is causing the issue. So By default when you create a project you will have the permission scheme created along with it. So here is the place where you can restrict the access for various functions within the project.

So to resolve this issue, what I would suggest is to create a new permission scheme (provided you are the administrator), if not reach the administrator to perform it for you.

In that permission scheme, you will have the Browse Project Permission which needs to be changed to the roles, Permissions can be assigned to user, roles & groups. Best practice is to assign the permission to the roles. Just because it is going to reduce the administration for the Jira Admins.

So go ahead and create the roles in the Jira and Create a new Permission Scheme and Assign it to the project.

And you need not perform this activities for all the projects going forward, for any new projects you can create using the shared configuration.

Permissions - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-project-permissions/

Project roles - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-project-roles/

Creating project with shared configuration - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-new-project/

Groups, User & Project Roleshttps://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/assign-users-to-groups-project-roles-and-applications/

Hope it address your queries

Quin Church January 7, 2021

@Ganesh Babu just to clarify then - would I have to create a separate role for each customer then? As I don't one want members of one customer to be able to see projects associated with other customers?

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

@Quin Church You can just have customer role created and you can use the same customer role across different projects. 

Only those people assigned to the customer role of that project will be able to view the projects..!!! 

Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

@Quin Church , did the issue help you out. If please accept the answer..!!!

Quin Church January 11, 2021

Thanks @Ganesh Babu , I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, and will let you know how I get on.

0 votes
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

@Quin Church 

It seems the users are part of the default jira users group. So if that group has the browse project permission, they will be able to see those projects. You may need to remove those users from that group (but they should have application access)

Then you can create a project role for customers for eg. customers  and in each project add related users to that role.

Finally you can add that role in the browse project permission.

kindly accept the answer if this resolves your issue!!

0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hello @Quin Church welcome to the community. You need to setup a permission scheme (ideally based on roles for better reuse and management). You might want to have 3 roles listed there. Internal staff, admins and customers. Set the permissions for each of them and apply the scheme to all projects along the groups into each project. The result should be that whoever is not in a group added to one of those roles in a particular project, won't be able to see such project

Suggest an answer