Jira search insanely slow for one user -- mine

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2016

Hi guys,

This is a weird one. I am the JIRA admin at my company. I have been working with JIRA for 5+ years. I've created and managed more users than I can count. But I ran into something with my own user that is seriously confusing me. This is what I know:

-- Doing a search for all issues with my user can take up to 5 minutes.

-- Creating a separate user with same permissions takes a few seconds to do the above search.

-- spot checking other users confirm that the search result problem seems to be just for me.

-- This behavior is the same regardless of computer or mobile device.

-- JIRA version is 6.2.5

-- Crowd version is 2.7.2  (note – we are not using LDAP – local crowd directories)

-- Increasing logging hasn't shown anything bizarre yet. Both in crowd and in Jira.

-- I don't have any unfinished filters

--  I don't have a large number of filters, and the ones I do have don't pull a lot of results, or spin a lot of cpu querying.

So.. a little stumped. Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2016

Ack.... found the problem. My default navigation configuration included a custom field associated with a 3rd party plugin... which was configured badly. Once I removed the field everything was happy again.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2016

It's always the plugin! ha! Glad you found it.

adrien_rochereau March 10, 2017

I have two users describing the exact same behavior out of 2000 happy users, could you expand on which plugin was causing the issue?

ksvv August 3, 2017

Hi Bryan,

could you elaborate what plugin caused this? I am now myself facing the exact same problem. "Search for issues" takes awfully long and consumes about 40% of my CPU along with a huge chunk of memory when I use my own admin account. Same PC, same browser while using my testing admin account that has the exact same rights: 10% CPU at max and only a small portion of memory.

Super weird.

- Joonas

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2017

You may want to check the default (or filter) fields/columns for each user. If they differ, the problem might lie with one of the fields used by the user with slow queries. Try to remove them one by one and rerun the query until you get better times.

BR,

Sten

ksvv August 4, 2017

Hi Sten, thank you for the reply.

I reseted my admin user's columns to default via "Restore defaults" and did the same on my other admin user, the problem still persists on my "main" account. Really boggles my mind what could cause this.

-Joonas

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2017

Hi Joonas,

Are Group memberships identical between accounts? Sometimes permissions checking can take a long time and the more groups, the longer it takes. What about Roles and Permisisons on any Project(s) involved?

Other than that, not sure what to look at, maybe run an integrity check on your DB.

Good luck,

Sten

0 votes
Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2016

I suspect it might be either of these

1) Has Crowd synced up your user directory properly?

2) Is there any process in JIRA thats taking lot of time to complete?

3) Did reindexing help?

4) Any locking exceptions on indices? Ref: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/searching-indexing-and-filters-troubleshooting-203394752.html

5) Any error messages on the logs when you do a search? Maybe in the browser console?

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2016

Go deeper and check where the bottleneck is. I suggest to try the "Network log" of your browser console. You can also generate a "har" dump of the JIRA session to pinpoint some activity. Compare this with other accounts.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2016

what's interesting is that the bottleneck is this:

/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=show&createNew=true

...which takes 1.8 minutes for my user, but for a test user takes about 2.6 seconds.

I'm looking at HAR now... wish me luck.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events