Jira & Bitbucket extension for VS Code doesn't remember authentication credentials

Greg Ferrari January 20, 2020

I use Visual Studio Code (VS Code) as an editor for writing software on Widows and linux.  Atlassian has a free extension for VS Code that allows you to connect to and interact with Jira and Bitbucket.  I have installed this extension,entered the URLs of my Jira and Bitbucket data center instances as “custom sites” (vs. Jira and Bitbucket Cloud), and entered my username/password credentials for those instances.  VS Code successfully connects to both Jira and Bitbucket; I can see Jira issues, Bitbucket pull requests, etc.

Here’s the problem, when I close VS Code and reopen it, VS Code no longer connects to Jira or Bitbucket.  If I click on the “Sign in to Jira/Bitbucket” buttons on the status bar, it simply drops me on the settings page that allows me to add a custom URL.  It isn’t using the credentials I entered when I first added the URL, and there is no way that I have found to get it to prompt me for credentials again.  I can see the URL I entered originally, but there’s no option to initiate a manual connection or re-enter my credentials.  I am forced to delete the URL I entered the first time, and add it all over again.

Is this expected behavior?  How can I configure Atlassian extension for VS Code to automatically connect to Jira/Bitbucket, or at least prompt me for just my password instead of making me completely reconfigure the connections?

I'm using "Jira and Bitbucket (Official)" extension version 2.3.1 and VS Code version 1.41.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.

On Windows 10, the Bitbucket side of things in the extension seems to work.  On the Jira side, the extension connects but never shows any results where I should see Jira issues listed.

2 answers

2 votes
Richard Cross January 15, 2021

I can't even get that far... for me the "Save Site button is disabled, no matter what I put in the form.

Matthew Gately February 8, 2021

I had the same issue when I first tried to use it.  I then ran ctrl-shift-p "Developer: Reload Window" and it seemed to fix the extension so that I could then save it.

Like Griffin Warburton likes this
Griffin Warburton April 6, 2021

@[deleted] , I had the same problem and your advise solved it for me.  Now to figure out how to get it to connect with an LDAP/SSO account instead of local jira credentials

0 votes
Lindsay Hall March 10, 2021

I'm having a similar problem connecting to our Jira server instance. Mine does let me edit the settings and re enter the username and password.

It used to remember the credentials, but not anymore and doesn't provide a prompt. Instead, it just fails to authenticate and doesn't function until I edit the settings.

Scott Babineaux April 8, 2021

I'm having the exact same issue.

Suggest an answer