Jira Core - Slack integration | Receiving double notifications on ticket creation

Dimitar Atanasov January 10, 2020

Hello team,

We have integrated Jira Core with Slack and have set up notifications for ticket creation.

We are also using Email This Issue Mail Handlers in order to automatically create tickets in project "External" whenever an email is sent to an email address.

Tickets are created by a service account "customer_ext".

The issue is the following:

[-] Manual ticket creation in project "External" -> Slack receives only one notification (working as expected)

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.38.07.png

[-] Ticket created by Email This Issue Mail Handler (from inbound email) in project "External" -> Slack receives two identical notifications

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 16.37.40.png

Some additional information (currently not aware if related to the issue):

Under Administration > System > Slack integration:

I am unable to see project "External" in the drop down menu in order to set up a notification:

export (1).png

I have been able to set up the notification from Administration > Projects > "External" > Slack integration

export (2).png

Could you please assist me with determining the root cause of these double notifications on ticket creation by email handlers from Email This Issue?

Or maybe point me in the right direction as currently I have ran out of ideas on how to troubleshoot further.

Also, is there any verbose logging I can enable / locate for the slack integration where I can observe why the notification has come through twice?

***Update:

Slack connection is no longer limited since we went away from the self signed cert.

This however still does not add commands such as the /jira info available for the Cloud where you can investigate duplicate channel subscriptions.

Your effort is highly appreciated!

Regards,

Dimitar

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dimitar Atanasov February 22, 2020

Resolved.

In case anyone is having the same issues with Email This Issue (JETI) in the future:

1. Manage apps > Email This Issue > Configuration

2. Incoming emails > Mail Handlers (this is the logic of the mail handler, not the actual mail handler you are setting up in System > Incoming Mail)

3. Edit the mail handler, scroll down to Acknowledge Incoming Emails

4. You will notice that it has been set up by default to fire an Issue created event (which is added on top of the always fired Issue created event by Jira)

And that is why we have 2 events thus 2 updates in Slack.

To resolve simply choose Do not fire event

I'm out.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2022

Hm, in my it does not help

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

Hi Dimitar,

I came across another report of a duplicate notification behavior in the Jira Server/slack integration over in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Duplicate-slack-notifications-four-of-them-for-every-issue/qaq-p/1272036

It appears there is a bug in the plugin.  The good news is that this has been fixed in the 2.0.6 version of that plugin.  You can check out the version in the marketplace listing in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220099/jira-server-for-slack-official/version-history

You should be able to update this plugin in your Jira Server site in order to resolve this.

Sorry again for the confusion.  Please try this and let me know the results.

Andy

Dimitar Atanasov February 12, 2020

Hi Andy,

Apologies for the late update. I had some additional configurations to look at.

The interesting bit is that our plugin is on the 2.0.6 version:

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 18.09.40.png

Regarding your previous concern, the notification is set up to trigger on only issue creation:Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 18.11.42.png

What I have noticed is that if I create an issue manually in the project, I receive only 1 notification.

If the issue is created automatically from an incoming email, 2 notifications are received in slack.

I will continue to research this.

Regards,

Dimitar

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hi Dimitar,

I understand that you are seeing duplicate notifications in Slack when integrated with Jira.  I suspect that you might have created more than one subscription between this slack channel and this project, in which case we could expect to see duplication of events.

Try this:

Go into the slack channel in question, and type:

/jira info

This should return to you details of subscriptions there, and provide a button called 'Manage Subscriptions'.  If you can get that far, then you should be able to remove the duplicate subscription there.

Try this and let me know the results.

Andy

Dimitar Atanasov January 15, 2020

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the response.

I have attempted that before as well, however currently unsure if it is supported for the server-hosted Jira or is only available for cloud.

This is the output I am receiving:

Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 00.00.33.png

Do you have any ideas for further troubleshooting?

Thank you again,

Dimitar

Dimitar Atanasov January 15, 2020

Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 00.03.19.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 16, 2020

Sorry Dimitar, I think I was confused with the Jira Cloud integration.    Try taking a look at the setup documentation in How do I set up a project to post notifications into Slack?

I am curious to see what settings you have for your setup, particularly on the page

My thought here is that perhaps under the bottom section for 'send a message to the channel when', if you have multiple check boxes selected such as "issue Created" and "Assignee Updated" if both actions happen during the same transition, perhaps there is a logic flaw to trigger the notification once for each event.

Please let me know what kind of configuration this EXT project has within the slack integration in Jira and perhaps we can learn more about this problem that way.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events