Jira Core - How to define tasks to be done at each issue workflow stage

Deleted user August 31, 2017

Hi,

VERY new to this. Been playing for a week and want to adopt it to manage and controll my small team. 

I want to turn what is currently ad hoc processes into Activities - i guess called issues / sotry in Jira. 

I want something that can tell employees what they need at current step of the workflow:

For Example: 

Task Type - On Board Partner

Start - transitions to 1-st Status ==> Call Partner ask for comm details

Actions for this status: Ask for server name, Ask for username , ask for password etc. 

Next step => Information received - New status = Test localy 

Actions: Use details provided by client and test on local system 

etc. etc.

I hope it makes sense. I want to be able to define and break down tasks into individual statuses and activities with each activity associate to a task that is certain workflow status. I hope this makes sense ! 

Long story short ==> Get people to do actual work as opposed to try remember for each individual thing what the process was. My idea is to focus training on technical skills and process steps with instructions to be managed through the system. This way i can track what took how much time and identify optimisations opportunities for the process. 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2017

My instinct on this is automatic sub-tasks.

Where you place them in the workflow matters a lot though, and needs to be matched up with your real process.

Most of the "onboarding" type workflows I've worked with in the past are set up as a "story" type issue.  When the user creates the initial issue (representing "we need a new person/partner/penguin/whatever"), a batch of sub-tasks are created by post-functions on the "create issue" transition, giving an immediate list of things that need doing by different people.

Most of the variants shift this a bit, having an "approval" type step, which triggers all the sub-tasks to be created.

Your process is different in that it is sequenced.  Imagine that the two above represent "new people".  The sub-tasks for "issue security badge", "get computer", "create email" and so-on are not sequential.  You don't care about the order they happen to get done in.

In your case, you DO care about order, and you need to validate.  I would add sub-tasks and validation at appropriate steps.  So, using your example

The issue type "on board partner" would have a workflow starting with "Create -> 1st-status -> Make accounts -> ..."

On create, I'd create the sub-task "initial call", with fields for server, username etc.  The sub-task workflows (which would be different, probably just open -> closed), should use validators to check the fields are filled.

Then, when it moves ot "make accounts", sub-tasks for each system account needed would be added.

And so-on

Deleted user September 1, 2017

That actually makes sense !!! I will investigate further :) 

Thanks for the help !!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events