JQL search for issues with specific component

Damian Kiesling April 12, 2016

I'm trying to write a JQL query for issues that have a particular component. This seems like it should be very easy but i keep getting returned no results.

It seems like it should be as simple as this:

Project = PROJ AND component = componentName

but that's not working. I've also tried using the "IN" and "IS" operators as well to no avail. I've also seen some advice telling others to search for the component using the Component ID, however, I have no idea where i can find this ID.

Can somebody help?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Are you getting any error while trying that query? The syntax is correct. If you have space in the component name, put it in double quotes.

If it is still not working, try reindexing your JIRA.

Damian Kiesling April 13, 2016

I've tried the following and it returns results just fine.

Project = PROJ AND status != closed AND component != EMPTY

but as soon as i change the query to this...

... component = Consultation

...it breaks and gives me the following error:

image2016-4-13 18:29:14.png

i've checked the spelling to make sure its the same

image2016-4-13 18:32:0.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2016

When you start typing "component = Con..", does JQL auto populate your component? Maybe there is a space in the name that is not visible easily?

Pick the component from auto populate and try the query after that.

Damian Kiesling April 14, 2016

when i start typing "consul" is does give a list of components, however, none of them are the one i'm looking for (see image below). I'm looking for the component called "Consultation"

image2016-4-14 23:17:6.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

That is strange. Can you go to "Manage Components" and see if there is an extra space in the front of the component name?

Or go to "Basic Search" from scratch, pick the project and check if you can see your component. If you can, select it and then go to advanced search. Let us know what you see!

Damian Kiesling April 19, 2016

thanks Jobin. turns out the Component had a space before it. Most of the interfaces in JIRA appear to eliminate leading spaces so i wasn't able to see it until i went into the Simply JQL editor and did a search for the component. the simple mode found it and when i switched back to advanced mode i noticed that there was a leading space.

...component = " Consultation"

Thanks so much for the help!

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2016

np, that's what I thought smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events