JJUPIN/SIL - How to remove empty/null elements from an array?

Hi there.

I'm struggling to remove null/empty elements from a string array. I can't find a way to remove such elements without sorting or converting to unique set. I will appreciate any hints how can I do the above operation.

Example code:

string source_string = "testelem1,,testelem2,,,testelem3,testelem2";

string[] my_array = split(source_string, ",");

I have tried :

•     deleteElement(my_array, "")
  •     deleteElement(my_array, "null")
  •     deleteElement(my_array, null)

None of the above worked.

So far the I have found only two possibilities, both messing up order of elements in original array thus not fitting my needs:

1. sort array, loop check 0th element for isNull() and remove it with deleteElementAt if true
  2. convert to set of unique elements by arrayToSet, check 0th element if isNull() and remove it with deleteElementAt if true.

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Blazej,

deleteElement actually works, but stops on first occurrence, so you'll need something like this:

number sz;
do {
    sz = size(arr);
    arr = deleteElement(arr, "");
} while(sz != size(arr));

Another option would be to use arrayDiff

arr = arrayDiff(arr, {""});

Note: your "my_array" is declared as string not array.

Hope this helps!

Of course, I ate [] here :) arr = arrayDiff(arr, {""}); works perfectly! That's exactly what I've been looking for, thanks!

Of course I could just loop through the whole original array and copy all not null elements to another array, but it seems a bit overkill with large arrays :)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 2 hours ago in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

15 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you